Tube preamp + class D amp = ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audiophiliac

Reaction score
With the latest advances in class D technology, you can get fast, quiet, detailed, exact sound from a small form factor, efficient, and cool-running amp. Of course some reviews have mentioned that the music almost sounds too analytical, too detailed, too hard, cold, edgy, etc....

Well what if you were to throw a nice warm, smooth, tube preamp in front of them? Could this possibly be a match made in heaven? :) Seems the best of both worlds if you ask me.

I am teetering on the edge of pairing the Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE with a Rotel RB-1072 and see what happens.

This is of course when I finally order my Druids....:rocker:

Personally, I've found the tube pre/SS amp combo works quite well (but my amp is not Class D).

One of our local audio society members just demo'd his system using a Cary SLP98-P tube pre with a pair of Exodus Hypex Class D amps (powering Onyx Reference 3 speakers)... sounded VERY sweet.

The ONE thing I've learned is that component "synergy" is often just hit or miss. So if your initial pairing doesn't give you goosebumps, try, try, again!

Latest posts

Back