Transferring LPs to CD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the M-Audio Transit USB - I miss named it. It has Vista drivers (just do a Google), but the XP ones work on Vista too. There's a wealth of info on the web.

I use it on a laptop that still has XP on it, cos that's what I use in my listening room.

It's the M-Audio Transit USB - I miss named it. It has Vista drivers (just do a Google), but the XP ones work on Vista too. There's a wealth of info on the web.
Justin, I did Google it before and did not see any mention of Vista in the specs. Subsequent to your last post I did some more digging and came across the Official M-Audio User Forum. From the thread (see link), they have a Beta version for Vista, but no final release yet - no definite date yet. There is a guy from M-Audio Tech Support participating in the forum.

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=2818&page=3

I may just buy it right now and try using the XP drivers as you say they work on Vista.

So what software package do you use to clean up your recordings?

Last edited:
Hi Bernard,

Yeah all I found was Vista Beta drivers when I looked. But since the XP ones work, no real problem on Vista. Kind of makes you wonder why they are bothering with Vista specific ones.

I don't use noise removal s/w because the the filters have to be quite drastic to work i.e. they cause a noticeable change to the sound. And since I don't listen to classical, it isn't really a problem for me.

Can anyone offer Bernard advice on this? It may be that there are some good packages out there that aren't too aurally intrusive...

Justin

I found this link with tips on transferring LPs to CD:

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

Justin, which of the packages in the section on recording to hard disk do you use, or have you found a way round having to use one?

BTW I'll be picking up the M-Audio device on Thursday from a store in town - $90 Canadian.

Last edited:
If you have a reasonable budget, why don't you go for Alesis Master Link 9600 (mod version by BPT). It is a recommended product from Stereophile. It is a an amazing product.

The Alesis product sounds like it does a great job, but I'm looking for something cheap, and the M-Audio device is priced right.

Justin, which of the packages in the section on recording to hard disk do you use, or have you found a way round having to use one?

I use something that came with a Creative MP3 player I bought years ago. It doesn't need to be anything flash - just anything that will save the incoming stream to hard disk. I then dump the resulting .wav file into a .wav file editor (Cakewalk Pyro LE which came with my Roland Edirol - but there are loads of .wav editors around - any will do) and chop of the lead and end groove parts. The end groove bit can be long since sometimes I miss being their when the record ends. Then, I just blow it to a CD using Nero. Easy.

$90 Canadian is about £50 - a good buy I think.

If you have a reasonable budget, why don't you go for Alesis Master Link 9600 (mod version by BPT). It is a recommended product from Stereophile. It is a an amazing product.
Taking another look at Alesis, I would not recommend it for the home recordist as it does not have an analog input level adjustment, which, however, is not a problem in the professional environment with mixers, etc, where the level can be adjusted.

M-Audio Transit B. I have one as hinted at earlier. Costs about $100 and will record at 24/96.
Justin, I picked it up yesterday and took a cursory look at setting it up. It sounds like you have to futz around quite a bit with the software, so I was wondering how easy it is to use.

Dunno why you say that - just install the driver as per the manual, select the data rates you want to use and plug it in. Then fire up your recording software, making sure the Transit is selected as your audio source. That is it. Nothing to it.

If you are confused, let me know and I'll try to help.

Justin, when you say fire up your recording software you are no doubt referring to the package you use to record to disk rather than to RAM, so how do you make the link between that software and the M-Audio software? Or does M-Audio supply recording software? As I said, I just took a quick look.

I think it would be useful to discuss this here rather than via PM so anyone else interested can follow.

Well, looking at the website it looks as though it comes with Ableton Live Lite, which will let you record.

I have Ableton - the full version, and I think it is over-the-top for what you want to do. It is primarily a sequencer, but it will let you record. Give it a try by all means and see what you think... but the full version is complicated.

The bundles vary, so have a look what else you got with it.

Just in case your wondering, I bought mine a good while ago and the included s/w has changed...

Burpppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I launched the autoinstaller, and it aborted, stating that the software was incompatible with my O/S, Vista in my case. I looked at the M-Audio web site. Under Vista 64-bit compatibility, Transit USB is shown as "in development", and it's not among the public beta drivers, so I'm SOL. I'm trying to get a refund from the vendor; this is a case where they don't normally give cash refunds so I'll have to do some arm-twisting/skull-cracking as it's a musical instrument store and the only musical instrument I play is the gramophone.

Enough of this; I'm buying the Marantz CDR632.

Oh dear 64 bit Vista - didn't realise that. Best get a refund, I agree. You just said you had Vista - most have the 32 bit edition.

You need to be careful about the 64 bit edition, Bernard. You've learned the hard way... but bear it in mind for the future.

Last edited:
Glad you got the refund. Shame about Vista 64 - that Transit is a great deal for the money in terms of performance.

Let us know what you think of the Marantz when you get it.

Oh dear 64 bit Vista - didn't realise that. Best get a refund, I agree. You just said you had Vista - most have the 32 bit edition.

You need to be careful about the 64 bit edition, Bernard. You've learned the hard way... but bear it in mind for the future.

*Snort* Properly engineered 64-bit OSes have no problems whatsoever running 64-bit and 32-bit apps. Simultaneously. As we were saying in another thread, this is just another example of Microsoft's lack of software engineering ability, despite having all the cash and other resources at their disposal.

But back to MLs!

Back