The early signs of panel degradation....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ford427

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have owned my Sequell II's for many years now and they continue to give me many hours of listening pleasure. I take good care of these speakers and I often clean the panels using the Vacuum method.
My question is, What are some of the common early signs of panel degradation? I have new panels in storage should I require them someday.
I am worried that because I have been listening to these same speakers for years I am not perhaps picking up on any slow degradation? The existing panels are the originals.
Would be also keen to hear your opinions on the speaker crossover servicing. Should they be checked over by a technician perhaps at the time of panel replacement? or before?
Thanks in advance, Nigel. New Zealand.

Hi there. If you're happy with the sound that now is not the time for replacement. If they have had good care taken of them there is no reason why Sequel II panels would be degrading now.

That said, the early signs are most noticable in a degradation of the HF........because of the very fine, rapid movement required to generate HF sound, as the panel attracts pollutants and becomes heavy and cannot move the air as intended. Also, the panel loses its charge because it has its conductive coating covered by those same pollutants and this reduces the energy (electrostatic energy) required to make those same movements. That is, the panel gets heavier and has less charge available to move it - a double-barreled problem.

You may also notice a mismatch in the panel response (L to R) and also you may be able to hear dead spots on the panel as it is playing (if you run your ear up and down in close proximity.

You can always try the shower wash when you've got nothing to lose and before you think about replacement.

Last edited:
A thiness in sound and lower output

You may notice a thinness in sound and lower output. Ameyo1 is correct. No need to replace them just because you think it is time. Make sure the yhave indeed worn out. The good thing is I have found the quality of the panels to have improved significantly over the years.
Lastly you may want to look into an upgrade rather than a re-panel. Given the rise in cost of panels and vast improvement of at least some of the models.
:cool:

Lastly you may want to look into an upgrade rather than a re-panel. Given the rise in cost of panels and vast improvement of at least some of the models.
:cool:

The only problem with an upgrade (if you are upgrading on the used market) is that you have no idea how the panels have been treated and you should be factoring new panels into the cost anyway.

Interesting, I've only recenty noticed a slight staticy noise when the amp is first powered up, I had them cranking at about 150 watt peaks last night with some well known tunes and my original Sequel's with the original panels still sound superb, I vacuum once a month too.

What is this showering method?

Jim and Melody both said that the new panels would make a dramatic diff in the sound tho.

Craig

Back