Sunfire 300 x2 Amp for SL3's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcesine

Reaction score
Any thoughts on a Sunfire 300 x2 (non signature) amp to drive a pair of SL3's ?

I have read some good and not so good stuff about this amp and that it is very tolerant of the low impedance that the ES panels can present.

I am using a sub <80hz so it doesn't need to work too hard at the bottom end

I am currently using a Lyngdorf SDA2175 Class D Power Amp (100-200W) so the Sunfire would need to be noticably better to justify the investment

Any thoughts very welcome !

Last edited:
That Lyngdorf is a nice amp, but how much current can it flow relative to the the Sunfire? that is the key question.

I recall the big Tact/Lyngdorf had great current output, but not sure about their smaller units.

I run 12 channels worth of Sunfire amplification in my rig, and have used Sunfires for the past 20+ years. I believe they are great amps for MartinLogans.

That Lyngdorf is a nice amp, but how much current can it flow relative to the the Sunfire? that is the key question.

I recall the big Tact/Lyngdorf had great current output, but not sure about their smaller units.

I run 12 channels worth of Sunfire amplification in my rig, and have used Sunfires for the past 20+ years. I believe they are great amps for MartinLogans.

I'm not sure about the relative current outputs, looks like the Lyngdorf can get 40 Amps max - not sure about the sunfire although I have seen 240 Amps peak (really ?) quoted at very low impedence

The Sunfires work nicely with the SL3 - I had a Cinema Grand for years before switching to Krell gear. Good value and pretty good sound!

The Sunfires work nicely with the SL3 - I had a Cinema Grand for years before switching to Krell gear. Good value and pretty good sound!

Did you see a big step with a Krell ?

I have the sunfire in place and it seems like a very good amp but I can't really pick out too much difference v the Lyngdorf.
I think I have become an amp sceptic !
With my previous non ESL speakers I played around with many SS amps before concluding there wasn't much difference and I am reaching the same conclusion with SL3's !!!
You have to have the basic power of course but even very slight changes (inches !) in room placement and sitting position seems way more significant and easier to detect than change to the amp.

Maybe its tubes I really need ????

Last edited:
Maybe its tubes I really need ????

Only if you want to 'colour' your sound with a tone-control/special effect. But yes, it will sound different.

As you noted, there is much greater variation in sound from room placement and / or treatment than can ever be achieved via the electronics (assuming working good quality pieces). I'd spend time, money and effort on that way before investing any more on the gear.

Only if you want to 'colour' your sound with a tone-control/special effect. But yes, it will sound different.

As you noted, there is much greater variation in sound from room placement and / or treatment than can ever be achieved via the electronics (assuming working good quality pieces). I'd spend time, money and effort on that way before investing any more on the gear.

Yes, good advice Jonfo - thanks
I loved tubes with my old Proacs but surprisingly they weren't great with the SL3's.
Maybe underpowered at 30W class A?

Now time to move on one of the amps methinks and stick with the other....

The Krell seems to have pretty much endless power reserves it seems and the sound is absolutely crystal clear. The KSA 300s I have on the fronts puts out 1200 watts/ channel at 2 ohms and I have taken the amp close to its limits plenty of times. It seems like the SL3's are a rather power hungry speaker. I listen to all types of music from rock to gothic to electronic to lounge to alternative etc. We watch a lot of blu ray concerts and I like to listen LOUD! Whoever said that ML's are not as dynamic as come speakers is a fool!:)
So, yes, the Krell amps put my system on a whole new level but acoustical treatments are super important with these fine instruments and can have a greater immediate impact.
If your room is not treated properly then that is where I would focus on first!

Latest posts

Back