Summit X vs Mantis Bass Performance ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeji

Reaction score
I have narrowed my choice for Martin Logan second-hand loudspeakers to Summit X or Mantis.
I listen to a lot of classic rock, so bass performance is really important to me.
I was wondering if anybody had any experience of both ?
The Summit X has 2 active bass woofers, the Montis only one, so on paper the Summit X should do better.
But the Montis with a (Depth i ? other ??) subwoofer could be even better.
Both the Summit X and the Montis have the Vojtko DSP engine, which is supposed to help bass/medium smooth integration.
Any advice appreciated...

Ι have not heard them but there should be significant difference just by the specs. How much is the price difference? I have summit normal one and even added a descent i which makes a lot of difference not to mention that i am thinking to add another one

Get the bigger stat panel and add a sub or 2

While the panels are the same I agree that better bass integration will be accomplished with the Montis and an additional sub (or two) properly located and Eq'd

I own a pair of Summit X's, bought new at substantial discount in January 2017. As I recall, the Montis was introduced at the same time at a much high cost. According to a review in Audiophile magazine, the Summit X base can go to 24 hz, the Montis 29 hz. Audiophile reviewers had no problems with a bass integration problem with the Summit X, and so, I chose the Summit X. I hear no bass integration problems with the speaker and I think the Summit X is one of the best bargains I have ever gotten in audio and is also one of the best sounding speakers for the money I have ever heard. I am always troubled with listeners who like a speaker but then feel the need to spend even more money on a subwoofer. You won't need a subwoofer with the Summit X. All of this is just opinion, and so everyone is free to make their own decisions. I have been so happy with my Summit X's.

I have a pair of the original Summits I bought in 2007. I originally heard them at a Chicago Audio Society meeting and fell in love the the bass. They can integrate into a room and produce amazing sound. I use room correction and measure bass response below 20 Hz without the correction. I love bass and would never consider adding a subwoofer with the Summits. The bass drivers are very capable of producing floor shaking pipe organ pedal notes. All that coupled with the openness of the electrostatic panels has given me years of great sound. I have no intention in looking for a replacement/upgrade as I would be going backwards in finding such a well rounded sound.
I am a firm believer in using full range speakers which integration is designed into them verses adding a subwoofer and opening the pandoras box of proper time alignment.

I have Spires, the predecessor to the Montis and it is very similar in sound and the improvement in integration between panel and woofer with the Montis made only a small difference to my ears. I have listened to both the Montis, Summit and Summit X. The Summit X has undoubtedly superior bass performance to the Montis and it is a great and very well balanced speaker. The Montis has been very well received but so has the Summit X, including some absolute rave reviews!! My advice is go for the Summit X which has no need for a sub for any music - it really is a complete loudspeaker. By contrast my Spires needed a sub for articulation impact and extension. They both look much nicer than the new rather crude looking designs. Can't lose really!

Hola, I am with Gougster too. Not only that, the Summits X has two woofers on each speaker, and also two power amplifiers on each Summit, one drives the front woofer, and the other drives to bottom woofer. There are three controls at their back. One is for the Logo intensity. The other two, one is for +- 10dB, 50Hz contour and the other is for +-10dB 25Hz contour. This is a very interesting way to control the standing waves that are inherent in all rooms. You can adjust the bass performance precisely with these controls. Here is the main difference between the Montis and the SummitsX.
Happy listening!

I have also started looking at replacements for my SL3's I have had since 1998(repaneled once). I have no desire to upgrade but looking for a replacement when they go down. I was trying to avoid a used ML due to the question of how long the panel lasts but the prices for the Montis and 11A are just too high. The Summit X really seems to be highly respected and a sweet spot. Thanks for the above comments.

Only the Summits are hard to get new. I am Ali's looking what to get next once I need to replace mine (lower end). The new design is a no go for us so I'm a bit in the dark. So maybe ending with the ELS X or the classic. I use it fo cinema as well, so I already have the dynamo 1100 to that end.

I have also started looking at replacements for my SL3's I have had since 1998(repaneled once). I have no desire to upgrade but looking for a replacement when they go down. I was trying to avoid a used ML due to the question of how long the panel lasts but the prices for the Montis and 11A are just too high. The Summit X really seems to be highly respected and a sweet spot. Thanks for the above comments.
If your SL3's replacement panels are of the newer Gen2 clear spar type, then they have many years of life remaining. You can bring the SL3 closer to the bass performance of the newer active bass ML hybrids by using an active xo on only the bass. It's not just lower bass, but more tuneful and controlled, up to the limits of that woofer/cabinet/amp combo that you choose...

Thanks Tosh. They are the clear spar type. I currently use VTL MB 250's and a JL Fathom F113 sub. I have seen various comments regarding active XO but seems complicated. Given what you said, I should look into this again as an option to tweak the SL3. If there is a thread you could direct me to would appreciate it.

Hi, I have not had any experiences with the Montis but have got a pair of Summit X bought second hand a couple of years ago. They sound stunning. Bass and the speaker integrates perfectly into my system/room. A lot better than my Odysseys, now my rear speakers. It was a struggle in the past but not with the Summit X. The bass is very good but must confess I have a REL Stentor 3 connected via the Hi-Level input that has the wires connected to three of the binding posts of the power amp. This way it integrates well with the Summit X with no timing issues and goes down to 11Hz :). The power amp is a Nord SE NC500 MKII, clean sound and bass, 700w at 4 Ohms. At the end of the day both will give you good service and it may depend on the price.

Back