Suggestions for new Preamp/Processor...?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj Bassi

Reaction score
I am considering a processor upgrade for my 5.1 HT but so far have been disappointed (or mis-informed) about the current high-end offerings. Our setup is a Marantz SR9200 (internal amps disabled) driving Requests/Cinema through Krell FPB250m's. Originally I had been leaning towards a Krell Showcase but since our HT has two HDTV displays, we should find something with HDMI/DVI switching capabilities. To add more confusion, my local retailer suggests waiting until this coming spring for the new processors with HDMI3 capabilities. Many of the consumer-grade electronics offer an array of HDMI/DVI ports, but I dont seem to find much at the higher end of the scale. Can anyone offer any suggestions? I realise that many processors including the Showcase have component switching....I did not want to start an argument on the HDMI vs. component performance, but am more interested in how important the all-digital interfaces will be in the coming years (especially considering HDCP or that other copy protection scheme...I forget what it is called.....).

Thanks,
Tj

First, I recommend picking your processor based on audio specs, not video. I’ll give you some suggestions a bit further down.
Here is a strategy to have your cake and eat it too with regards to video:

Use a separate switcher or video processor. It’s near impossible to get all the features one could want for both Audio and Video in one box, so don’t try.

Use a good quality, macro capable, universal remote (Harmony 880 or such) to manage switching inputs such that it sends video switcher commands and processor commands at one button press. This also addresses an issue few pre-pro’s can handle and that’s having varying audio settings for the same video input selection.

I’ve been using this strategy for over a decade, and while setup is bit more involved, it sure works.

For Audio pre-pro’s, I highly recommend looking at Meridian. The G68 processor has room correction that is one of the best features money can buy. Trifield surround from stereo sources is likewise worth the price of admission. Meridian’s handling of all other surround modes is top-notch as well.
An entry level G68 is around $6K new, and many units can be found on the used market for under $5K.

Jonathan-

Thats an interesting point, and something I am going to think (heavily) about. As soon as I finish reading up on your system, particulary thte SL3XC project :)

Interesting!

Thanks,
Tj

Latest posts

Back