Subwoofer phase setting when used with Vistas

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardeng

Reaction score
I'm using a Velodyne DD-15 with ML Vistas and an Outlaw RR2150 with it's built in analog bass management (set to 80Hz). The DD-15 is in a corner facing into the room with one of the Vistas beside it.

Wife and I have been very impressed with the dynamics and clarity of the Vistas but have both noticed a thinness in the mid-bass. So eventually got around to running the SMS-1 subwoofer eq system that's built into the DD-15. Sure enough, the SMS-1 eq system showed a general dip in the 60Hz to 100Hz region with several nasty toughs between those frequencies. Tried equalizing these out but to no avail. Eventually thought about seeing if changing the phase of the sub would have an effect (this setting can only be changed within the on-screen setup menu in the DD-15). So set it to 180 degrees and to my surprise, the troughs were mostly gone as was the general mid-bass dip. Was then able to tweak the sliders to get a much flatter response. Sound is now noticeably more fuller, thinness is mostly gone.

Also worth pointing out that I tried 90 and 270 degrees on the sub but strangely, there was very little difference in the SMS-1 plots compared to 180 degrees. But at zero degrees there was definitely serious cancellation going on.

So if you use a sub and haven't haven't already done so, try reversing its phase and see if you hear a difference.

Good point, harden. I had been trying to tune my REL T2 with my Theos for some time and it wasn't until I reversed the phase on my sub that I started getting really low, integrated bass in my room for the first time. In fact the change was so dramatic that I thought something had gone wrong with my system!

This is a must for as i have dual subs (Sunfire HRS-12) with my Spires in my HT room. I first phase align the subs with respect to each other ot appear as one sub and then afterwards, phase align the 'one' with my mains. The results are simply worth it, to say the least.

Wow! Two subs. Correct phasing would be tricky. Adding a sub to any system is a lot of work, but as I have found out, well worth the effort.

Good point, harden. I had been trying to tune my REL T2 with my Theos for some time and it wasn't until I reversed the phase on my sub that I started getting really low, integrated bass in my room for the first time. In fact the change was so dramatic that I thought something had gone wrong with my system!

I found the same, using analysis the flattest was Phase reversed with my Vista's
& 2 subs ;)

Back