Speaker Cable/Wire for Martin Logan

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicks2

Reaction score
I am installing a home theater with a top of the line Pioneer Elite Receiver, 2 Martin Logan Clarity fronts, 2 Vignette for surrounds, 1 Fresco i center and Velodyne sub. My room is 23'l x 15'w x 8'h. Does any one have suggestions for speaker cables/wires that match well with Martin Logan? I know there is a lot of smoke and mirrors used by wire companies and I do not have confidence in the local stereo retailers to take their advise. When doing some research, a ML employee recommended Mapleshade Clearview wire. I would appreciate anyone's suggestion for cable/wire. Thanks

Do some searches and read through the old threads on this forum and you will find plenty of discussion regarding this topic. I am not a believer in spending a ton of money on cables. I think you can get high quality cables that perform great at reasonable prices.

Personally, I have just replaced my Mapleshade speaker wire on the Summits with Signal Cable's Silver Resolution Cable and have been very impressed with it. I was never completely satisfied with the Mapleshade product, although Gordon Gray on this forum swears by them.

The link for Signal Cable is:

http://www.signalcable.com/

I also highly recommend Blue Jeans Cable for inexpensive, quality cables with no hype. For your surround speakers, a run of their twelve gauge Belden 5000UE would be perfect. That is what I have run for my surrounds.

The link for Blue Jeans Cable is:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I also highly recommend Blue Jeans Cable, and agree with Rich's suggestion about their 12g Belden (the 10g would probably be overkill in your setup). Well constructed, and great (FAST) service too!

I'm currently using their 10g Belden with my Summits.

Rich, I'm curious, did you ever compare the (silver) Signal Cable to the (copper) Blue Jeans with your Summit setup? I'm wondering what sonic signature (if any) the silver adds.

Rich, I'm curious, did you ever compare the (silver) Signal Cable to the (copper) Blue Jeans with your Summit setup? I'm wondering what sonic signature (if any) the silver adds.

I didn't compare it with the Blue Jeans Cable, but I did compare it to the Mapleshade wire, which is a solid core thin-gauge copper wire with minimal insulation. What I noticed right off the bat was a richer midrange, better soundstaging (deeper and wider) and more precise imaging with the Silver Resolution Cable. But I just put this cable on and haven't had much time to listen, so I will have to give a more detailed description after they have burned in a little and I have had more time to listen.

I didn't compare it with the Blue Jeans Cable, but I did compare it to the Mapleshade wire, which is a solid core thin-gauge copper wire with minimal insulation. What I noticed right off the bat was a richer midrange, better soundstaging (deeper and wider) and more precise imaging with the Silver Resolution Cable. But I just put this cable on and haven't had much time to listen, so I will have to give a more detailed description after they have burned in a little and I have had more time to listen.

I've used both copper Signal Cable spkr wire as well as Home grown audio Silver Lace spkr wire for Ascent i / Theater i set up.

Similar to ablve experence, but mostly clearer imaging for me.

As a Canuck, I have the larger Bryston Amps, which are a bit stoic in nature and it took a while to get used to the slighly more brightness when in combination - e.g. I better understand subtle blends of using Sunfire / Blue Circle.

Having said that the whole is greater than sum of parts, I don't know if its that easy just to recommend spkr wire on their own. Dont want to get off target, just MHO. Silvers are very clear, revealing and very expensive on a long length basis, so consider how much you want to spend vs quality of interconnects, power cords, as well as room environment.

As you;re actually paying in part, for precious metal, I've found that the used prices are pretty stable. Hence ultimately I suggest purchasing some silvers new and seeing if you like that quality of sound from them. If you love them great!, but if it doesn't suit your ears, it won't hurt too much to re-sell on audiogon.

Happy listening !

Back