sites to buy music online

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venkat

Reaction score
With iTunes and all, this might be a pretty obvious question, but I am just curious where the learned members of ML club buy their music. I am mainly looking for sites where you could buy singles (and not entire albums/cds..) and without any lossless encoding.

hdtracks.com...the only problem is poor selection and it's pricey.
Too bad Apple and Amazon only sell compressed downloads.
I've complained numerous times to Apple but they don't give
a damn about high quality downloads.

In the same boat here.. I've gone mostly to iTunes via USB into my DAC. Only have about 20 of my favourite CD's by the system for critical listening. Would love to find a site with a great selection of uncompressed or high-rez downloads.

With iTunes and all, this might be a pretty obvious question, but I am just curious where the learned members of ML club buy their music. I am mainly looking for sites where you could buy singles (and not entire albums/cds..) and without any lossless encoding.

I am unaware of any sites that sell hi-fi singles. I do know that a number of MLOC members like mobile fidelity:

http://www.mofi.com/store/pc/home.asp

Erik

Liza, what a great suggestion ... not
What a way to make your first post on here.. very helpful. I will remember the next time you ask a question, I will tell you to google it as well. Yikes...
retracted. Looks like we have a spammer onboard.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary, this is very helpful.

I share the same concern/frustration that most of you have expressed here (save Liza ;)). Variety is severely limited from most of the audio download sites. Often times I'll find a track I really want, and they just offer it at redbook resolution... rarely in high-res 24/96. Might as well buy it used on Amazon. This is why I've decided to hang on to my SACD player even though I plan to integrate a high-end music server into the system soon.

Now, if there were a painless way to rip SACD DSD (sometimes output in PCM at 24/172) and save directly to FLAC or AIFF, then we'd be in business. I know the Oppo-SE does internal conversion of DSD to PCM, or at least I read that somewhere, but then you need a compatible de-embedder ('cuase it's only output via HDMI) and more software for conversion. "Oh the pain, the pain!" <Doctor Zachery Smith> :p

Maybe one of us should be looking at this as a business opportunity? :think:

Last edited:
Back