Since Purchasing Your ML's - Has What You Listen To Changed?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,
I notice you have ascent i. Any tricks to get the bass moving better? I've had mine one year - still need descent for decent bass even when listening to 2 channel stereo. Using bryston processor and single 7 channel amp (Lexicon)
Todd

My collection of classical music has grown since I bought ML speakers, a friend of mine brought Juliette Pochin (Venezia) an Opera album round the other day, I was blown away by the sound, the vocal coming from the speakers.

Improved Bass for Ascent i...

Desert Rat said:
Robin,
I notice you have ascent i. Any tricks to get the bass moving better? I've had mine one year - still need descent for decent bass even when listening to 2 channel stereo. Using bryston processor and single 7 channel amp (Lexicon)
Todd
Todd,

I have tried, but was never able to get better bass sound than what I currently have...
I have my pre/pro set to all speakers "THX Ultra 2", with all bass going to my Descent, when set for 7.1 - HT... :) For stereo listening I have my pre/pro set-up with my Ascenti's and all bass going to the Descent (three channel). My Ascent i's are bi-wired. The descent really delivers a strong bass, as you know, especially for my small listening room. ;)

I have Ascents (not the i). Although I already had a strong amp, the bass dramatically changed when I tried the horizontal biamping. And the Ascent is a mighty fine speaker :). Try the biamping - I did not know before that the Ascent was capable of delivering such bass - abd everything improved, not only bass, revealing my speakers' magic that I never heard before.

Still, having a fine sub like Descent ... I'd say leave it on. I have my sub crossed over at 40 Hz, and the feeling of space it brought was clearly audible [and it is not nearly as good as Descent] - a good sub's use is not necessarily for more bass only.

I use the sub for 2 ch stereo too - with clear conscience.

Miljac,
So to do bi wiring, i need another amp, 2 channel, correct?
Todd
PS: i actually have the depth subwoofer. The idots who sold me my system ordered the depth instead of descent. Still, the Depth is an amazing subwoofer.

So to do bi wiring, i need another amp, 2 channel, correct?
Nope. Biamping and Biwiring are not the same. For biwiring you only need a set of biwire cables (a pos and neg connection to attach to the amp end and 2 pos and 2 negs connections for the 4 connectors on your Ascents). Or you can double up with 4 pairs of speaker cables if you can connect two cables to each output of your amp.
To biamp, you then need 2 amps and 2 sets of speaker cables plus an extra set of interconnects for the second amp.

The Descent is a very nice compliment to the Ascents and I don't think you'll ever get bass from the Ascents deep and powerful enough to make you want to drop the Descent.

Great Explanation...

Craig said:
Nope. Biamping and Biwiring are not the same. For biwiring you only need a set of biwire cables (a pos and neg connection to attach to the amp end and 2 pos and 2 negs connections for the 4 connectors on your Ascents). Or you can double up with 4 pairs of speaker cables if you can connect two cables to each output of your amp.
To biamp, you then need 2 amps and 2 sets of speaker cables plus an extra set of interconnects for the second amp.

The Descent is a very nice compliment to the Ascents and I don't think you'll ever get bass from the Ascents deep and powerful enough to make you want to drop the Descent.
Criag,

I totally agree... :)

Todd,

IMHO, the Descent is so awesome you'll not need the Ascent's bass speakers. ;) I have my cross-over set to 70Hz and my Descent handles all bass management with power and authority. ;) Such dynamics, my ears just love the bass sounds of the Descent, for HT as well as Stereo (three channel) music listening... :D

As mentioned above, female vocals and piano really shine. I'm still getting re-aquainted with my CD collection, all stereo, but some of the better highlights are:
Sheila Chandra
Loreena McKennitt
Sarah McLachlan - the "Surfacing" album has incredible detail
Grandaddy - very rich in sound and detail
The Beatles - The White Album, I can now define Yoko's singing. Yikes!

Unfortunately, the discs of lesser quality recordings are rendered even more so too.

Female Vocals and Piano...

Beakman said:
As mentioned above, female vocals and piano really shine. I'm still getting re-aquainted with my CD collection, all stereo, but some of the better highlights are:
Sheila Chandra
Loreena McKennitt
Sarah McLachlan - the "Surfacing" album has incredible detail
Grandaddy - very rich in sound and detail
The Beatles - The White Album, I can now define Yoko's singing. Yikes!

Unfortunately, the discs of lesser quality recordings are rendered even more so too.
Beakman,

I agree. Your choices are wonderful... ;)

I've been craving tube amplifiers to add to ML speakers. For me its all a question of saving more money at this point in time. I am planing to have a tubed ML two channel listening system before I retire... ;) Hopefully by 2008 or 2009, depending how much I can save between now and then... :eek: I just love the wonderful musical sounds ML speakers make when properly driven... :D

I listened to music from the NHTs before buying my ML Odysseys; I hardly listened to any Jazz or Blues because I knew that the NHTs could not deliver Jazz or Blues the way it should be. When I took my friend to buy their Ascent-Is, I knew that I must have a pair of MLs in my home ASAP. I love the way MLs deliver the vocals (both male and female), real and clear. A week after my friend bought their MLs I ordered a pair of Odysseys. I decided to keep my NHTs for listening to lesser quality CDs or when I have the urge to listen to some rock music (soft rock only and not very often though).

Cassandra Wilson on the album called A moon Daughter is a very good CD, great voice, well recorded.

Regards, Transpa.

Back