Scotch

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorToad

Reaction score
I can't remember what thread it was, but two or three of attempted to hijack a thread earlier with a tangential conversation of Scotch. Since I've a fair dose of Laphroaig in me I was thinking I'd start a Scotch thread. (Feel free to bust in with cigar stuff. :))

What are your favorite Scotches and what do you buy the most? Laphroaig is definitely my favorite, and what I drink the most, but it's not all I buy. $41 locally.

Johnnie Walker Green Label is one of the better I've had and it's a bargain. It's better than Gold Label, IMO, and is in the running to Blue Label! I guess now would be a good time to mention that I prefer a good, strong character to a smooth Highland style Scotch... :D $38 locally.

Bowmore runs close to that as an Islay malt, about the same price for the 12. Regular Bowmore is cheaper but it's obviously not mature enough yet, not so much character as just sandpaper.

Gelnfiddich 18. Oh so smooth and sultry, but it's very expensive for what it is. Their 12 is one of my favorites, especially since it's commonly available in bars. Locally, it's $72 for the 18 and $37 for the 12.

Cheers! :devil:

I can't remember what thread it was, but two or three of attempted to hijack a thread earlier with a tangential conversation of Scotch. Since I've a fair dose of Laphroaig in me I was thinking I'd start a Scotch thread. (Feel free to bust in with cigar stuff. :))

What are your favorite Scotches and what do you buy the most? Laphroaig is definitely my favorite, and what I drink the most, but it's not all I buy. $41 locally.

Johnnie Walker Green Label is one of the better I've had and it's a bargain. It's better than Gold Label, IMO, and is in the running to Blue Label! I guess now would be a good time to mention that I prefer a good, strong character to a smooth Highland style Scotch... :D $38 locally.

Bowmore runs close to that as an Islay malt, about the same price for the 12. Regular Bowmore is cheaper but it's obviously not mature enough yet, not so much character as just sandpaper.

Gelnfiddich 18. Oh so smooth and sultry, but it's very expensive for what it is. Their 12 is one of my favorites, especially since it's commonly available in bars. Locally, it's $72 for the 18 and $37 for the 12.

Cheers! :devil:

Glenlivet - 21 yrs old. Floats my boat.

Anything Balvenie for me, for the money, "The Double Wood" is superb !!

I go for the lighter smoother options like the Macallen and Glen Roths. Current stock below but I also have JB and JW for blends. Nothing like a nice
Whiskey to complement a good peice of music.

Attachments

• IMGP0015 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP0015 (Medium).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Well my favorite is Lagavulin (sp), but I also like Glenmorangie, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Oban... and several others that I can't recall but have never seen outside of Scotland. But hands down, Lagavulin is my fav by a lot.

Damn, you beat me to it!@#

I have to definitely second the Balvenie Double WOOD..... I'm sipping a glass as I type this.... very delicious and fairly inexpensive....~40$

I also am always and will always be a huge fan of Wild Turkey 101, say what you will and yes, I do know that it is technically a Bourbon, but I just love it.

Other scotches I love are obviously the Blue Label, Gold is tasty but honestly I prefer the Green and not just because it is cheaper.

I would also never say no to any of the Glenlivet or Glenfiddich.

One I don't think that I saw listed is the Macallan.....very very delicious, a bit pricey when you get into the older ages, but that comes with the territory I suppose.

Cheers!

Love the Islay malts. First single I ever had was Laphroaig. Bunnabhain has been a favourite for years.

Most memorable malt was Edradour drunk on a beautiful summers evening while camping.

Kevin

Well my favorite is Lagavulin (sp), but I also like Glenmorangie, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Oban... and several others that I can't recall but have never seen outside of Scotland. But hands down, Lagavulin is my fav by a lot.

I really like the Lagavulin too - kind of like sticking your head in a campfire! Another fave is the Glenmorangie Port and Sherry Cask Aged varieties.

I used to drink more skotch, but have been on a small batch bourbon journey the past few years.:guiness:

I really like the Lagavulin too - kind of like sticking your head in a campfire! Another fave is the Glenmorangie Port and Sherry Cask Aged varieties.

I used to drink more skotch, but have been on a small batch bourbon journey the past few years.:guiness:

Haven't tried too much high-end bourbons, I suppose I need to correct that! For now, it's mostly single malts and cognac's.

I went to a Scotch tasting last year. There is some kind of law, which states that all Scotch's must be aged in barrels which once held American Bourbon. They break down the barrel casks and ship the wood over the pond (Atlantic) where they are reassembled.

There is this thing called the Angels Share, which is the part that evaporates though the wood as it ages for decades sometimes.

If you ever get a chance, go to a Scotch tasting, Johnnie Walker hosted this one.

I also am always and will always be a huge fan of Wild Turkey 101, say what you will and yes, I do know that it is technically a Bourbon, but I just love it.
There's nothing wrong with the Kickin' Chicken! :D I don't care as much for Wild Turkey's other whiskeys I've had, but 101 does me well.

Most "high end' Bourbons, IMO, are too smooth and lack the depth of Scotch. Other than this
Sazerac%20Rye_Am%20Whiskey%20of%20the%20yr_thumb.jpg

If you can get your hands on some, BUY IT (and get me a bottle! :)). It's an 18 yo rye that's built like a Bourbon other than the corn (Bourbon has to be >= 51% corn).

kach, I don't think that's a law that they use old Bourbon barrels, but it is a law that "Bourbon" is made in new charred oak barrels so it's a cheap source of perfectly good barrels and good recycling. (Support the environment, drink Scotch!:)) I've seen Scotches aged in several different woods, like cherry, so there's no way they could have been used Bourbon barrels. Also, Scotch and Bourbon came to be at almost the same time. Within 3 years of each other by what I can find on google.

George T. Stagg Bourbon Whiskey

Most "high end' Bourbons, IMO, are too smooth and lack the depth of Scotch. Other than this
Sazerac%20Rye_Am%20Whiskey%20of%20the%20yr_thumb.jpg

If you can get your hands on some, BUY IT (and get me a bottle! :)). It's an 18 yo rye that's built like a Bourbon other than the corn (Bourbon has to be >= 51% corn).

I was lucky enough to recently find a lone dusty bottle of the 2005 Sazerac in the back of a shelf at a local liquor store---a rare discovery---this variety isn't distributed locally! I too find the Sazerac to be an exceptional bottle, but among small batch bottlings I find it to be somewhat average. My personal fav is a sister bottling to the Sazerac (both are members of the Buffalo Trace antique collection), called George T. Stagg---by far the finest Bourbon every bottled. Although coming in at 140+ proof, after a couple pours the high-proof isn't noticable. This bottle got me hopelessly hooked on Bourbon and since trying it I've seldom touched my Scotch. Since first trying the Stagg I've collected about 20 other bottles of Bourbon in an attempt to find another bottle that comes even close to being this good. So far I've (only recently) found one other bottle that begins to remind me of the Stagg bourbon---Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve (90-proof). I liked the 90-proof Russell's so much that I've already special ordered the 101-proof variety of Russell's Reserve.

For my less expensive scotch whisky drinkin', I like Aberlour single highland malt. It's a mighty fine 10 year old. When I really want some of the good stuff, I sip on The Glenlivet 18 year. It's pricey, but soooo smoooth.

Lagavulin and Laphoaig, yes ... but Ardbeg even more.

Here is something for the rest of us interested in this matter:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/99/161/S-A4SPT-PM/index.html

don't know about the sound but they should smell quite good ROFL

MartinLogan goes hunting the ladies and Pioneer brings back the ball where it belongs. Such a twisted world :wtf:

Last edited:
Lagavulin and Laphoaig, yes ... but Ardbeg even more.

Here is something for the rest of us interested in this matter:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/42/99/161/S-A4SPT-PM/index.html

don't know about the sound but they should smell quite good ROFL

MartinLogan goes hunting the ladies and Pioneer brings back the ball where it belongs. Such a twisted world :wtf:

I finally got to try Lagavulin 16, and oh my it's WONDERFUL! I thought it to be as good as people told me it was, which almost never happens. :) IMO it's not worth twice as much as Laphraig, though, which is what it costs here, so I'll keep truckin' with the 'Phrog. :)

Those whiskey speakers, though... I think I'd like to have a pair just to have a pair! :)

Never drink alone.........................

DRINK+21185825762.jpg

Invite a friend..................................

DRINK+11185825808.jpg

The Vietnam Vet down the hall brought this in a couple of weeks ago, a gift from a client of his. I'm the bartender I guess. An office with a bar, I love owning my own business.:D

I think it was the typing thread! I had too much scotch to drink that night and took an online typing test. Don't know if it improved my speed or spelling? LOL

My favorite was Laphroaig 10 (as opposed to the 15 which I think has a much lighter and less peatier taste). I have since switched to Laguvulin 16 which is much smokier and bolder in taste. I haven't tried all the Islay malts, but I have to admit most have been great so far. I picked up 2 bottles of Lagavulin in Paris this summer for 40 Euros each. They're about $75 locally and I even saw one at a liquor store in Hollywood for $100 on the way to see Dave Brubeck at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the best bangs for your buck is Finlaggen which is only $17 at Trader Joes. I've read that Finlaggen comes from the same distillery as Lagavulin and there is a slight hint of it when you drink it. Now back to some jazz and maybe a glass of Talisker.

Cheers!

Back