Rowland 201's or Parasound jc-1 monos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, on the Carver forum I'm also on, we've been noticing a lot of Carver gear being bid WAY too high lately. I've seen Silver 9t's go for as high as $2800/pair, which is $600 more than they were new, 10 years ago, and that pair didn't even have the original boxes...

Either 1) there are a lot of hard-core Carver-heads out there who are just coming into their trust funds, or 2) Carver gear has become as collectable as vintage Marantz tubes, or 3) a lot of "boomer" high-end audiophiles with the requisite deep pockets are realizing that 5 figures for big name audiophile amps that only put out 50-100wpc is just silly and the Carvers are not only a comparative steal at these inflated prices, but they actually sound GREAT (contrary to what the folks like Lew Lipnick and his Stereophile cronies think). And unlike a lot of the "Pure Class A" solid state amps (like Levinson, etc.) Carvers run REALLY cool, and the output transisters last for decades, and you can actually get them serviced by third party techs if something does go wrong...

My theory is #3.

But no matter how you slice it, there are a LOT of us die-hard Carver folks who are getting really cranky with EBAY, because it used to be you could pick up Carver gear there for a song. Things have gone insane on Ebay recently with used audio gear. There are suspicions of "shilling" on some of these auctions, on the Carver forum, and a few members over there have been watching the bidder lists, and noting some dicey trends.

That's why I try to buy "high ticket" items on EBAY only from "certified mega dealers" with good track records, or local folks, so I can look them in the eye and shake their hand when I pick up the goods.

--Richard

Not trying to hijack the thread, but as the discussion converges on eBay, I might as well add my 2 cents worth, as I have quite an experience on eBay - 104 transactions, most of them Hifi. What I am about to write is, as always, IMHO.

1) Used gear, more or less actual (i.e. not vintage) and in good conditions, reaches about 40% of the "new" price, normally. If it goes for less, the seller (bad ad or wrong placement or not 100% rating or few transactions) and the overall demand for that particular item are responsable. If it goes for more, the newbie is not the seller, it's the bidder - as Tom said, the "I've gotta get it" syndrome.

2) As sad as it might be, there is no advantage in bidding before the auction's end. You only help raise attention and price for the item. I bid 6 seconds before the end, with the exact amount I'm willing to spend, that's all. If I get it, ok, if not, no problem. No second chance, but actually working more than you might think. As a seller, I know about this practice, and I do what I can about it, which is anchoring the starting the price at 80% of what I'm willing to sell it for.

Thanks for all the information everbody.

I just wanted to ask what dos everybody think of the JR 201's. No one has realy made a comment on these amps? I am not sure if they are even fully broke in yet. I have about 400 hours on them along with the Summit's. I realy would like to stay with Mono's becaues my speaker cable is only 1-meter( Cardas Golden Ref).

Russ

Check with Rowland on break in and try to confirm

Russ,

Call your dealer or Rowland to get their take on break in time. Try to confirm elsewhere. Some SS gear, like the JC1's, take a very long time to break in. It could be the "additional detail" you are hearing at this point may mellow and go away and you may have the sonic signature that meets your personal preferences once "break in" is completed. Just a thought and by the by, I didn't intend to steal your thread. Sometimes, the topic digresses into other related discussions.

Best regards.

GG

Last edited:
Kevin
I guess I am trying to get more of a tube sound without buying a tube amp.

Russ

I am sorry everyone but I cant help it...

If you want a tube sound from a SS amp then BAT is a great choice. That even is one of their claims, that they have a tubey sound. Audiogon has a number of vk-200's for under $1300 and the VK-500's go for under $2500 and are a true monoblock design in one chasis, two power cables and two power switches. There are many other GREAT amps out there, but the BAT would be a great choice.

IMO tube sound but SS. PASS LABS is for you!!!

I've been doing some reading about the Rowland 201 & 501 series monoblocks and I like what I see. Wish I could demo them.

Is this switch-mode power supply technology comparable to Bob Carver's downtracking power supply on the Sunfire gear?

How do these mate with older Logans like mine?

Last edited:
Parasound A51

I know its not a mono amp but its a halo series parasound amp and brand new, retails at 4000$ and I had an offer for it around 24-2500$ Pretty good deal I think? If he can sell the A51 at that much of a price cut i'm sure he could do something similar on the JC1. just my .02c

Russ,

How are the Jeff Rowland mono 201's performing for you? I have my eye on a pair and would be interested in your long term satisfaction. Thanks.

Brad

Thanks for all the information everbody.

I just wanted to ask what dos everybody think of the JR 201's. No one has realy made a comment on these amps? I am not sure if they are even fully broke in yet. I have about 400 hours on them along with the Summit's. I realy would like to stay with Mono's becaues my speaker cable is only 1-meter( Cardas Golden Ref).

Russ

Russ, I have been silent on this issue to now because I am acutely aware of my anger toward Rowland and perhaps my experience is unique. However I now feel compelled to share my experiences with this company. I have long been a fan of their house sound, having purchased 3 preamps and 3 amps. Several years ago I sent a pair of Model One monoblocks in for repair (yes I broke them myself during a drunken listening orgy) and was told that only JR himself could work on them and he was too busy. I was offered a sweetheart deal on a pair of 201s instead and actually listened to them on my then reference Apogee Divas, but found them threadbare and a bit bright, very unlike my 8T which I continue to enjoy with my now reference Summits. Of course my 8T cost 3 times what the 201s cost when the 8T was current. I know the 201s and 501s are loosely based on the newer class D technology and maybe that is what I was hearing (no flames, please). I think the JC1s are warmer sounding than the 201s and are more consonant with my listening biases. Bottom line is I will not deal with a company which will not repair its older equipment. I will likely be making a move to ARC tubes in the future.

Back