Replacement memory problem on Dell XPS-710

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambob2

Reaction score
Hi,
Just received my new DDRS memory, 3 - 1 GB sets to replace the 1 GB I currently have. I'm running Windows XP. My computer was purchased new on May 2008. Prior to changing the memory, I updated the BIOS.

Swapping the memory should be a no brainer as far as I am concerned; particularly after the rep at Dell assured me they would "drop right in".

Well they did not "Drop right in" and did not work. I mean physically they fit, but when I started the computer I did not get a display on my monitor at all. So I figured, let me put the old memory back in and see if it boots up, whaallaa, it does. There’s something about the new memory that my computer does not like or cannot recognize.

When I called Dell, the first thing they suggested is that they connect me to a specialized technician to help me remedy the problem for $49 dollars. I said no way, I bought this memory brand new (supporting Dell products thru Dell, rather than a third party) assured they are compatible with my system. He said we cannot help you. I said, is there someone else I can talk to. Sure I will connect you to my manager. I asked the manager if they could verify that Dell sold me the correct memory for my PC, he said yes it is correct and should work. He suggested technical support to me for $45. When I refused to pay for the technical support, the manager said the same thing as the first guy did almost verbatim! I said no way, I want to return these for a refund. They connected me to a customer service person who asked me for the order number and did not recognize it. So she said I would have to call back tomorrow and speak to someone to arrange a return and refund. Ok, but there's one problem, the number she gave me is listed in the manual as the employee purchase program...?!
By the way, I could barely understand any of them.

My question is: Does anyone know what might be amiss here? Is there something I have to change a setting on in the setup or bios to recognize or accept this new memory? If not maybe Dell knowingly sold me incompatible memory so they could generate money for technical support. Hate to speculate but I am p'd off. I really hate getting on the phone for any call to any of those pc companies.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate any tips you can give me on what to look for.

Hi,
Just received my new DDRS memory, 3 - 1 GB sets to replace the 1 GB I currently have. I'm running Windows XP. My computer was purchased new on May 2008. Prior to changing the memory, I updated the BIOS.

Swapping the memory should be a no brainer as far as I am concerned; particularly after the rep at Dell assured me they would "drop right in".

Well they did not "Drop right in" and did not work. I mean physically they fit, but when I started the computer I did not get a display on my monitor at all. So I figured, let me put the old memory back in and see if it boots up, whaallaa, it does. There’s something about the new memory that my computer does not like or cannot recognize.

When I called Dell, the first thing they suggested is that they connect me to a specialized technician to help me remedy the problem for $49 dollars. I said no way, I bought this memory brand new (supporting Dell products thru Dell, rather than a third party) assured they are compatible with my system. He said we cannot help you. I said, is there someone else I can talk to. Sure I will connect you to my manager. I asked the manager if they could verify that Dell sold me the correct memory for my PC, he said yes it is correct and should work. He suggested technical support to me for $45. When I refused to pay for the technical support, the manager said the same thing as the first guy did almost verbatim! I said no way, I want to return these for a refund. They connected me to a customer service person who asked me for the order number and did not recognize it. So she said I would have to call back tomorrow and speak to someone to arrange a return and refund. Ok, but there's one problem, the number she gave me is listed in the manual as the employee purchase program...?!
By the way, I could barely understand any of them.

My question is: Does anyone know what might be amiss here? Is there something I have to change a setting on in the setup or bios to recognize or accept this new memory? If not maybe Dell knowingly sold me incompatible memory so they could generate money for technical support. Hate to speculate but I am p'd off. I really hate getting on the phone for any call to any of those pc companies.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate any tips you can give me on what to look for.

The memory should "pop" in the slot. Make sure the wings are open on the side but it may take a bit of force.

A question or two:

1. Do you get a string of beeps when powering on?
2. Do you have lights on the back that give you a pattern when powering on?

If you get beeps or have lights giving you a pattern you can look that pattern up on the internet, the computer is basically giving you an error code.

You definitely do not need to change anything in the bios before installing ram.

Let me know if you get anything like that.

Thanks,
D

D,
I did not notice any of that. I'll look for it tomorrow, it's time to hit the sack for now. Thank you for those few diagnostic steps. I'll let you know how I make out.

try one stick at a time. Either you have a bad stick, or you did not insert it fully. I undertstand the frustration, however I doubt Dell would knowingly send you the wrong parts.

Take out the old stick and compare it to the new sticks - do they match?

How many slots are in the computer for RAM? Not sure on your computer, but some require RAM to be in pairs. Try 2 on the new sticks and see if that works. Some of the RAM slots are colored to show which ones are to be used for pairs. If you only had 1 stick previously, then do what JRace suggested and see if one stick at a time works.

With a combination of everyones suggestions, I got it to work! The result was obtained by leaving the two oroginal 512K sticks in place and adding the 2 new 1GB sticks in the open slots for a total of 3GB! I checked the system to make sure all three were registering and they are.

Why on earth the guy at Dell sold me three sticks (and my ignorance of not knowing that I needed pairs!) is beyond me...$$$

Thanks to all of you, as always the support here amonst us is very helpful!

Sam

Latest posts

Back