Recap my crossovers........hmmmmm

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyG

Reaction score
I have just priced out the recapping the large capacitors in the sequal2 board. I made contact with Solen (solen.ca) and recieved a quote of $100 cad for both speakers.

Has anyone attempted this and would you guys consider other caps...like mundorf??

Just looking for input.....

Solens capacitors are very highly regarded. The only other names that come to mind are Black Gate, Mundorf, and Auri-cap.

Large caps? Do you mean the polypropylenes or the electrolytics? I did replace the 100uF with a Black Gate. It helped alot. I also replaced the polypropylene and also got positive results. There is a 270(?)uF that I would like to replace but its a difficult value to find.

Here is my quote......

All the caps were in stock and ready to ship.
Here are the parts numbers and the values.
4 - PB 1500 - 15uf
2 - PB 10000 - 100uF
2 - XO5A100K277 - 270uF

The total price was 110.94 plus shipping. - They have it all...

The PB series info is here - http://www.solen.ca/caps/mkp.htm

I am going for it man....wish me luck!!!

Kenny, I've done cap replacements on several speakers including SL3's and Aerius'. Solen is a decent cap, but has a bit of grain to it. For anything over 30mfd, they are cost effective, while the more essoteric caps are not.

However, I would highly recommend that you use a higher quality cap for the 15mfd caps. These should be directly in your signal path, which is where you get the biggest bang for your buck.

I would recommend that you look at Auri caps for those 15mfd caps. The Auris are much smoother sounding than the Solens.

Here is a link to the tweeks section where I did the Aerius':
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=626

When doing crossover mods on Maggies, I take Solens out and put Auris in, and there is a big improvement. Solens, I think, are the best deal for higher-value caps, so anything over 50mfd I get Solens, but when I can afford it I get Auris. You could also use North Creek, Hovlands, or Sonicaps, all are well regarded.
James

I agree with the jjcarr regarding the Solen caps, especially with respect to the 15 uF caps. At a minimum, use a higher grade cap, e.g., Auricap, Hovland. There are alot of good brands out there.

The larger cap values are another issue. Are you sure the new 100 uF and 270uF caps will fit? I suspect the Solen's are polypropylenes. They're going to be way too big to fit on the stock circuit board.

Latest posts

Back