reached a consensus or just general observations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioraptured

Reaction score
This is only for power cord placement:
I think it was around this past Christmas when there was a discussion about where to place power cords and interconnects for the best improvement in sound for your system. For interconnects some said between your amp and preamp while others, (depending on what the component was), the component and preamp.
While I think there may be no one answer for all systems, (and of course you should trust your ears in the final analysis), can there be a generalization as to where the power cord would be best to upgrade the sound, (component or power or pre)? I want to try the "Signal" company and this is my first venture in replacement. I want to improve detail, clarity and depth. My system is #125 if that affects your answer. Thanks to all for any help.

Audioraptured,

I think this may be a tough call. I would be leaning towards the source and then the pre. Now if you you use multiple sources, i.e. TT, CD, DVD, or music server then I would go with putting a power cord on the pre. If you predominantly use a CD it would be a toss up. I have it on both.

Now all of the "voodoo" is based on the fact there is a lot of noise everywhere which is either picked up or distributed through and/or amplified (??) by cables, motors, and other noise generating devices. You may also have significant noise on the lines coming in to your house which some of do and some do not.

The bottom line here is, it depends on how "bad" the line is whether you will hear a subtle or noticeable difference. Try one, if you can and if not, make the decision and get one you feel is the best for you. Put it in your system and listen for any subtle changes over a week or so then take it out and put the old one back in. This should tell you what the new power cord did for you or not. :music:

Jeff:cool:

Logic says that you want to give unrestricted power to the piece of equipment that mostly needs it, the one that draws more power than all the others. So *if* I had a $500 power cord, it would for sure go between the power amp and the wall outlet.

Dan, Good morning, like Jeff said lots of options. I forgot.....does your system utilize a power conditioner ?? How many deicated 20 amp circuits are you running ?? Hospital Grade outlets ?? Keep in mind the MOST important thing is to start ones 'improvements' as close to the source as possible !! I for one believe this applies to AC lines as well as the Audio / Video interconnects.

German/Chinese

Lugano's right. If you got a good POWER cord (10 AWG) then give it to the device that needs the most POWER.

. . . . . . . so did you hear the one about the Chinese-German restaurant? An hour after dinner, you were hungry for POWER :rocker:

Thanks Jeff and Lugano;
twich, there are no hospital grades but all 20 amp. I had a used conditioner but it seemed to muddy up the bass more than help. My system was spagetti city but I got plastic ties and cut some excess off and used clear fishing tackle (hanging from small nails put into the wall at the back so they weren't seen and it lifted most wires off the floor). I also seperated them as you wrote a few months ago. The speaker wire is still bi-amped at 10 gauge and since its only about 12 feet, I don't think there is that much of a cost effective change coming there. The "Signal" company seems to have this "magic" cord for about $65 and I think it may be the start. Unless someone knows of a better deal of course........thanks p.s. twich; how is the Mc IV doing?

Last edited:
Signal Cable Magic Power Cords are a nice upgrade from stock or Volex Power Cords. And they can be returned if you do not like them. In case you did not read one of my posts before, I compared the Signal against the PS Audio Lab II power cord and found them equal.

Where will they make the most difference? I would try them on all your components and on your speakers and see which you like better.

Dan

And of course, don't forget the necessary x00 hours of burn-in

Attachments

• ROFL.jpg
    ROFL.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Back