Purity vs. Electromotion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djc

Reaction score
I have not had the chance to hear the Electromotions from ML... I had been putting off my purchase while I read and decide what to do, but feeling a bit of urgency with the CA/Amazon situation.

As you may have read, my debate was between the Source and Purity speakers a few months back. I had been leaning toward the Purity as all I have to drive them is a lowly Denon 3808ci and my limited space for external amps (small cabinet with less than 17" depth) helped justify the cost difference.

Then came the Electromotions!

Purity's have the amp obviously and 2 x 6.5" drivers. Electromotions have the bigger panel and supposedly bigger sweet spot with one 8" driver. I have an Infinity HPS 1000 sub, so the drivers would be for mid bass only. Connection options appear to be better on the Purity.

The icing on the cake is I have a head cold, so going to listen to some tomorrow is rather pointless! :(

I'd like to kindly ask for your suggestions.

Get the EM's, run them off the Denon and shop for the right amp over time? This will cost more, but if the EM's are that much better, then perhaps it is worth it.

or

Get the Purity's as they are a complete solution with minor difference in sound quality from the EM's. Any reliability issues with the built-in amps?

Much thanks everyone.

Assuming you have no power issues, I'd go with the larger panel. It will make a substantial performance difference.

And even if you run into the EM's being underpowered with your Denon, you can eventually get another amp.

GG

Last edited:
Hola djc. Wise decision. I agreed 100% with Gordon and Cat. The Purity model was made for computer and Ipod music. It is a good sounding speaker too. But the new EM is very, very good. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks everyone!

The EM's arrived on Saturday. Love them!

I can't wait until they're broken in...

Back