Prodigies and active X over

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liffy99

Reaction score
I'm just about to bi-amp my Prodigies with a second Lyngdorf (Tact) digital amp. Given that these amps have built in DSP sections, enabling me to set crossover points, slopes, Q etc I was wondering whether it was possible to bypass the passive X over in the speaker.
From what I've read on the forum so far this seems to be a no-no as the passive setup handles things other than simply crossover point, phase etc.
Anyone even tried going down this route ?

Thanks

Oh boy, have we ever ;)

There is a good thread going into a lot of detail on how to do this for the Request line, much of which is probably transferable to prodigies.

Read my Build story on the SL3XC for gory details (with pics) on how to totally remove a passive crossover.

We can use this thread to get into the variances with prodigies.

So yes, you do need to bypass the passive in the Prodigy units to most effectively use the TacT.

The passive crossovers in the ML's do a couple of things:
- Frequency division (normally second order slopes)
- Phase adjustment (all EQ skews phase, as do acoustical outputs of drivers), so that's compensated for in the x-over.
- Gain balance (between X-over outputs)

So as long as the TacT lets you set all three of those properties (per output), then you're good. If I recall from the year or two I followed the TacT forum, that it definitely can do all three.

The biggest challenge will be the surgery on the speaker. But it's not that hard. And there are ways of doing it in a reversible manner.

One first step is to procure the schematics of the Prodigy X-over from MartinLogan. Just call service and they'll email you a copy. (BTW- they only do this for non-current models).

Send me a copy of the schematic and I'll mark it up for you, or you could even ask them for that favor before they send it to you. They might get the chief engineer to give you the best options for active bi-amping.

He, looking forward to this one. Room corrected, active crossovers + bi-amping on large Electrostats. Just my thing... :cool:

Back