Power Cables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's even sadder because it suggests that (when I'm handing over $MULTI-THOUSANDS) if a manufacturer/designer can't even spec something as simple as a power cable correctly, how can I trust them to have specced other aspects of the electro-acoustic design correctly.

That's exactly what I would think. I would be highly disappointed by a company that would remotely consider shipping a product that was handicapped by an under spec'd power cable. A properly spec'd cable that does everything it can possibly do is pretty cheap. It's pretty close to having a garden hose with the proper internal dimension to sustain pressure over a reasonable distance in longer length hoses. Bernoulli's principle in fluid dynamics is pretty simple. So is carrying electricity. Especially a 60 Hz sine wave which is crazy easy to conduct as long as you have proper diameter wire. Heck it can even be aluminum. OFC matters not. Keep in mind this is simply power delivery. There is no music yet.

Last edited:
My DAC was over 30K and came with no power cables lol , manufactures include a cheap power cable to keep cost down and they know people will just replace it anyways . A lot of lower cost gear people won’t bother with changing power cables . For your avg person the stock cable is just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not understanding the point!

When I've got $30,000 (or $1,000, or whatever) to spend on a DAC, I'm seeking a value proposition.

That is, what can give me the best sound for my money?

If there were any designers out there who actually thought spending a part of that money on a power cable; rather than a commensurate amount on the actual friggin' signal path (or processing electronics) would provide a better value proposition, then why don't we see it?

manufactures include a cheap power cable to keep cost down and they know people will just replace it anyways

I put it to you - no - they include a cheap power cable because they know it will make diddly-squit difference to the sound of their product.

They include a cheap power cable because they know that - when limited to $30,000 (or whatever) - spending part of that finite money on a power cable is not going to increase the saleability of their product in the same way that actual technical improvements will.

Seriously - why would any manufacturer go to all the effort of hand-picked caps, gold plated circuitry, point-to-point soldering, virgin wound toroids, and short signal paths - just to hobble their product by supplying it with an inappropriate power cable?

Last edited:
At lower volume, lower power, lower current, well below the 10 Amp threshold, a 10A cable is audibly adequate for that need. But push the 2000 watt component near or to it's limit and it's gonna try to get 2000 watts for a brief instant in time (transient), and if the supply isn't available the component will suffer and operate at less than optimum.

You're not understanding the point!

When I've got $30,000 (or $1,000, or whatever) to spend on a DAC, I'm seeking a value proposition.

That is, what can give me the best sound for my money?

If there were any designers out there who actually thought spending a part of that money on a power cable; rather than a commensurate amount on the actual friggin' signal path (or processing electronics) would provide a better value proposition, then why don't we see it?

I put it to you - no - they include a cheap power cable because they know it will make diddly-squit difference to the sound of their product.

They include a cheap power cable because they know that - when limited to $30,000 (or whatever) - spending part of that finite money on a power cable is not going to increase the saleability of their product in the same way that actual technical improvements will.

Seriously - why would any manufacturer go to all the effort of hand-picked caps, gold plated circuitry, point-to-point soldering, virgin wound toroids, and short signal paths - just to hobble their product by supplying it with an inappropriate power cable?

In my system I can clearly hear a difference if I swap out a power cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does Martin Logan say to use the best power cord and analog cables you can afford in the manual? They have no skin in the game.

Why does Martin Logan say to use the best power cord and analog cables you can afford in the manual? They have no skin in the game.

Their dealers want to sell high-margin cables, and ML wants to keep their dealers happy.

Their dealers want to sell high-margin cables, and ML wants to keep their dealers happy.
LOL
No.... They'd rather you buy the more expensive ML of course

Speakers are are good margin as well...not as much as cable but they ain't no AV gear either.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, awesome setup sleepy, I notice some aftermarket cords in there : )

I'm hoping to get some 11a or 13a eventually.
Currently using vantage with Levinson front end.

Latest posts

Back