Potential ML Owner...have questions!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAK

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some advice. Looking to change my current set up and have always been intrigued by ML products.

A little background on my current set-up. I have a dedicated smallish listening room 12x14x8 full treated acoustically. Current speakers are Infinity Renaissance 90’s powered by an Aragon 4004MKII (400watts/channel 4ohm), Aragon 28KMKII preamp and running a Jolida CD-100A cd player.

I haved auditioned the Summits and the Vantages. Of course the summits far outperformed the vantage on the low end but are well out of my price range. The Vantage didn’t do so badly on the low end and I was thinking that the Vantage may work well in my room since it’s not large and I will have some in room bass reinforcement.

The real question is this…I have a real hard time departing with 4k for speakers that I’m not sure will work well in my room. I know that ML does not have a trial period with their speakers so I was thinking about going older and used. This way I can try them out, see if it’s something I like and then upgrade to a current model in the future. If I don’t like what I’m hearing I should be able to resale with little loss of cash.

I see some older models up on Audiogon that look like possibilities but I’m not sure what older models compare to the Vantages. Looking for some advise on which model compares to the Vantage in terms of bass response. I see Ascent i, Aerius i, Aeon’s. Just not sure where these models fall as compared to the new stuff as far as performance. I’d like to stay away from integrating a sub as it’s just never worked out well for me in the past, plus I like the look of a clean, simple set-up.

So if you guys can help me out with some comparisons, feedback… stuff that I have not thought about, etc...anything that might make this decision easier would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, first off....Welcome ! Now, with regards to your impending choices, If you can pick up a pair of Vantage's New for 4k, run, don't walk ! If you liked them in the store I assure you, with patience, once integrated you'll love them at home. My room is larger than yours and I'm extremely happy with my set up.

As far as sub integration for two channel, I disagree, again, with patience and the right sub it is magical. Again I'm more than pleased with my results.

For an outlay of 4k for a new pair of speakers, IMO, you can't do much if any better !

Hello. Fellow Aragon user here !! I drive a set of Sequel IIs with a pair of Aragon Palladiums and a 28k. I love this setup and have refused to lay out the big money for Prodigys or Summits up until now. Martin Logan subs integrate very nicely with their full-range speakers. So take a chance.

Check Audiogon for deals often !!

~VDR

Sweet!

I love Aragon stuff! My friend is powering his Infinity Sigma's with some Palladiums and a 28k...got love 2 killowatts of power!

So if I were to go with the prior generation ML, what model is comparable to the Vantage in size and performance? Which sub should I look for to compliment the set up? Thanks guys.

Welcome to the club! I agree with Dave, if you can buy a pair of Vantages for four grand then buy them and I will pay you back! Your dealer should have a pair of Vantages that he or she will let you audition. Have them come out and set them up for you so that you get the proper sound. Maybe even have them bring a sub for you to do a comparison with. Dave and I have the same sub and believe me, it is worth every dime.
Eric

As for the older MLs, I think the Ascents would work great in that room. But I highly recommend you continue to consider the Vantages. You can find them used on the 'gon if you don't want to pay retail prices. They have a great sound, very well-integrated bass, and are a nice size for your smaller room.

Sweet!

I love Aragon stuff! My friend is powering his Infinity Sigma's with some Palladiums and a 28k...got love 2 killowatts of power!

So if I were to go with the prior generation ML, what model is comparable to the Vantage in size and performance? Which sub should I look for to compliment the set up? Thanks guys.

If you like the bass response of the Vantages, there really is nothing in the older generation that would be comparable, unless you get the Prodigies. I used to play the Ascents, and I upgraded solely for the better bass integration. (The panel is much better also, by the way, but it is not the deal maker.)

As for being concerned about your room, if you have the option of moving them in 3-4 feet away from the walls, they should work fine.

My advice is go for it. $4K is a lot of money. You can retire a few months later, but you will enjoy your speakers for many years.

If you like the bass response of the Vantages, there really is nothing in the older generation that would be comparable, unless you get the Prodigies. I used to play the Ascents, and I upgraded solely for the better bass integration. (The panel is much better also, by the way, but it is not the deal maker.)

As for being concerned about your room, if you have the option of moving them in 3-4 feet away from the walls, they should work fine.

My advice is go for it. $4K is a lot of money. You can retire a few months later, but you will enjoy your speakers for many years.

3-4 feet from the walls won't be a problem, I have my Infinity's 44" from the back wall now. This is the room they would go in:

Room%200014.jpg

Welcome

Pretty room.....

Another Aragon user/fan here. I power my Summits with a pair of Palladium 1Ks and haven't found anything I like better.... and that includes amps approching the $10 MSRP mark.

That being said, if you can snatch a good 8008BB for your future Vantages I think you approach perfection at least as far as the Vantages go! Don't get me wrong...the 4000 series are great amps, but can't match the dynamics of an 8000 or a pair of Palls (which are bridged 8008s). I got my perfect condition Pals for a mere $2K on Agon. Good 8008BBs will set you back $1300.

Another word of advice...you'll need something better than the Jolida for cd spinning.

This all may sound expensive...but it will rock your world!

Last edited:
Back