Phasing of rear surrounds?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmschnur

Reaction score
Montis and Stage are up front. I have NHT dipole speakers as surrounds set up as out of phase with the mains as per instructions from NHT. Dipole surrounds are at ~90 degrees with respect to listeners.

I have employed Celstion sl6 as the rear surrounds. They are 6 feet apart and behind the couch. Should they be in phase with the Montis mains or the NHT surrounds?

Should they be in phase with the Montis mains or the NHT surrounds?

I would think they should be in phase with the Montis... but I would try it both ways with a few different movies and see how it sounds.

BTW, I've always fancied the sl6 model, came very close to buying a pair years ago.

Thanks. Good advice.

With the new Montis , put our Vantages down in our office, computer room . This freed up the SL 6's. They are fine speakers.

Being dipole speakers, that sort of suggests that they were designed for encoded logic surround systems. "Encoded logic surround systems" have very diffused spatial locations of the surround speakers. Also wall mounted dipole speakers in one sense don't have a polarity.
Note that the newer discrete 5.1 or 7.1 systems don't require diffused surround speakers.

This was suggested to me in home theater shack by Mark He also had suggestions for 4 dipoles. He suggested thx U2 as the codecs for 7.1 listening.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328819583.642028.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328819583.642028.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Back