Out from Hiding

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevmars

Reaction score
Been around here since last year. I bought a pair of Ascents from an old member. My set up is not nearly as elaborate as many I've seen here. I'll take pictures of my meager package when I get a chance. So...Hi.

Kevmars,
Welcome

Do not be intimidated by other systems here. They are not all elaborate and some are just "simple". I for one started small and have built it over many years. Like slowGeezer said, just enjoy your system, the music and of course your ML's

Jeff:cool:

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to building on what I've got now. Money is the only problem, that is if you don't count the WAF. But, I'm really open for a center channel. Just nothing in the used market around lately. That's really all I can afford.

Kevmars,

Truth be told my first center channel speaker was an extra old Yamaha bookshelf speaker. You use what you have and what you can afford and then move to what you want when you can afford and when your "WAF" says you can. LOL :D

Small steps and enjoy the journey:music:

Jeff:cool:

Been around here since last year. I bought a pair of Ascents from an old member. My set up is not nearly as elaborate as many I've seen here. I'll take pictures of my meager package when I get a chance. So...Hi.
Welcome Jeff. I'm always glad to see someone with a sense of humor join us. But just some pictures of your set up will be fine ;)

Ndgarch, you use the mc275 to power your speakters. Is that enough power?

Nsgarch, you use the mc275 to power your speakers. Is that enough power?
First, in case you're not aware of it, the MC275 MkIV and MkV put out 90 - 95 watts continuous power, not 75 like the originals. So yes, they're fine for the CLS's or a pair of Vantages. To drive Summits, you would probably get better results running two of them in mono (180 watts/channel)

Oh, I don't have Summits. I'm a little guy. Got the Ascents. I'm currently running them with a MC2200. Contemplating going true tube but I'm not sure.

Oh, I don't have Summits. I'm a little guy. Got the Ascents. I'm currently running them with a MC2200. Contemplating going true tube but I'm not sure.
You have wonderful speakers. Your self-esteem should be conpletely intact! However they're hybrids, with the cone woofers driven by your external amp. Two 275's would be dandy, but they'd be overkill and fiscally wasteful. A better solution would be one 275 for the panels (more than enough) and a decent, 200 watt ss amp for the woofers, like a used Bryston or similar. (I mention Bryston because of their 20-year transferrable warranty, but they are excellent amps too, and very reasonable used ;))

Many Ascent owners have left posts in MLOC regarding bi-amping them. Do a quick search.

Kevmars, Welcome ! as Neil points out, you have many options. So as Steve and Jeff said...relax enjoy what you have and as time and $$$ permit let your system evolve !

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to building on what I've got now. Money is the only problem, that is if you don't count the WAF. But, I'm really open for a center channel. Just nothing in the used market around lately. That's really all I can afford.

Welcome from a fellow Chicagoan. You will have to join us when we gather either at each others or the Green Mill to hear Patricia Barber.

If you do not have to have an ESL center. I have a nice Boston Acoutics center that got retired when the ML was brought in. I will be happy to let it got to a forum member at a very reasonable price.

--burke

Right now I've got a decent center. I probably should've listed my system but I was going to try to take pictures and post but I can't remember if I'm hosted at photobucket or whatever. Anyway;

Fronts: ML Ascents
Surrounds & Sur Back: Def Tech BP2x (4)
Center: Carver
Receiver: Sony Strda2000ES
DVD: Sony DVPN?? SACD
PS3, Xbox 360
Audio Authority System selector
Amplifier: McIntosh MC2200
Subwoofer: SVS 20-39 CS+ (2)
Sub Amp: Samson S1000

Also, what kind of amplification can I get away with on the panels? It seems as though they soak up so much power from the 200x2 I have on them now. If I biamped and kept the 2200 for the cone, what could I use for the panel? The manual says us a at a 200w amp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back