Opinions on Summits vs Vantages?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like someone defining large room vs small room in term of physical size. Large vs small is very subjective...

I have my Vantages in an attic room, 14 x 24 x 8 with (sloping walls) and they sound superb. I would characterize this as a medium-sized room. SPLs and soundstaging width/height are abundant as is the dynamic character of the music -- NOT the case with the (highly-regarded) floorstanders that the Vantages replaced. In this case there's no substitute for listening but the price differential between the two models is substantial and larger speakers do need larger spaces to work properly. I appreciate the capabilities of the Summits, though I can't afford them, but having listened to both I don't feel that the Summits "demolish" the Vantages; they have a little more space, scale, bass weight and control and dynamic freedom but -- and please don't flame me for this -- I'm not sure they're as coherent-sounding as their little brothers and they seem to lack a bit of midrange warmth in comparison. So, in a sympathetic system and a smaller room, I can imagine someone being happier with Vantages, which are considered to be (and reviewed as) reference-class loudspeakers. They are NOT the Summit's poor relation but an excellent design in their own right. IMHO, anyway. Your space sounds like it would fit either of these Logans -- I would absolutely try and arrange a home demo before shelling out.

best,

k

Well, after reading all the replies I thought it was time I chimed in and offered my two cents, Are the Summitts better than the Vantages....YES,
but given your room size, which is almost identical to mine, the Vantages coupled with a great sub will perform superbly !!

Remember this, those that just say "get the Summitt's" without considering all your various upstream componetry, are not seeing the whole picture. Again, keep in mind with your room, Vantages with a great sub and superior source componetry, will easily outpace Summitt's alone !

This doesn't exactly apply to the thread but..

So you guys believe Vantages are a much better value than the Vistas because of the powered woofer? I was considering getting Vistas but now am more considering the Vantages (haven't heard enough of both to really decide).

I want a speaker that is able to play anything i throw at it, from hip hop tracks to acoustic spanish guitar to classic rock, and at the same time movies with great highs like house of flying daggers as well as movies with a lot of bass heavy scenes like master and commander. Are the Vantages going to be more effective at handling this kind of variety better than Vistas because my amp won't have to take care of the woofer?

Where movies are involved a sub or two is mandatory; even if you get Vantages. And the panels require a capable amp whether the woofers are active or passive. Which means you need a good amp and sub anyway.

I checked a few of your earliest posts and saw a mention of "Tweeter". If you are going to buy your Logans from Tweeter then you will be able to "uptrade" within 12 months of purchase. Uptrade means that you get full credit for what you paid if the price of the replacement is 50% or more. You could get Vistas now plus a Depth-i or perhaps two of the older subs. That would allow you to integrate the sub(s) with the Vistas for stereo use and enjoy great movie sound. If later you decide you want more, trade up. It is a great program which I have used twice so far.

Back