Old black man with a sax

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
The company I work for had our "winter party" last night (aka Christmas party, but intending to be multicultural). It's a big company, so it's a pretty big event. We take over a local convention hotel and all of its ballrooms, etc. We have food, bars, and various types of bands distributed throughout the facility. You wander around munching on stuff, socializing, and enjoying the company of friends.

Anyway, for the past ten years, a local jazz quartet has played in the "martini room". They're pretty good, so I go down and stake out a spot in that room early on in the evening and just hang out there for the most part.

About half way through the evening, about the time that the band takes a break, an old, small black man wearing an eye patch and a hat shuffles in and starts setting up an instrument stand. The members in the quartet smile and nod to him. My first thought was: "oh hell, that's got to be somebody...".

About fifteen minutes later, the quartet returns and picks up their set. Sometime into that, the keyboardist/band leader introduces the new musician. He's Pee Wee Moore (aka Numa Smith Moore), who used to play with both James Moody and Dizzie Gillespie, and is the featured baritone sax on Dizzie's "At Newport (1957)". An Amazon customer's review of the album says this:
One of the top 10 jazz CDs, in my opinion, this catches Dizzy's "State Dept." big band of the mid 50s LIVE, with arrangements by Benny Golson and with Al Grey, Wynton Kelly, a young Lee Morgan, and - as Dizzy tells you at length...the star of the band...PEE WEE MOORE.

Pee Wee sat in on about ten songs, then the evening drew to a close at midnight. The man can play. He's also just shy of eighty years old...

I have a crappy iPhone picture from him playing. I'll upload it here if I can get it off of the phone.

Back