Nordost vs Signal Cable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvitez

Reaction score
I'm in a quandary.

At the advice of the gent from whom I bought my Bel Canto eVo4, and asking questions of Frank from Signal Cable, I purchased Signal Cable Analogue Two interconnects with Eichmann copper bullet RCA's, plus bi-wired Signal Cable Ultra speaker cables. These were a noticeable improvement over my old cabling. But I then developed a bad case of upgradeitis :eek: after which I purchased numerous additions to my two channel system, including a used pair of Nordost Baldur RCA interconnects. They make the most difference between my CDP and pre-amp. But......

I love them and hate them! I have never heard such detail, such air, such natural attack and decay from my system as with the Baldur's. The upper frequencies are fabulous. Cymbals have never sounded so good. I was blown away when I first listened. Yet, after a surprisingly short time, I developed listener fatigue, and noticed the overall sound is now "unbalanced." The high frequencies are too forward, too loud. Instead of listening to the music, I am listening to the cymbals, the trumpets, and have a harder time hearing the vocals. I do not notice this nearly as much with classical orchestral music. But for jazz, I am happy and unhappy.

I switched back and forth from the Ultra Two's and the Baldur, both between my CDP/pre-amp, pre-amp/power amp, and phono stage/pre-amp. The same difference exists with each position, but is most highlighted between the CDP/pre-amp.

I love the detailed, open, airy sound of the Baldur's, but what should I do to get the same detail in the midrange and bass? Is this a trait of Nordost cables in general, or the Baldur's in particular? Is it related to the relative bass weakness of my Sequel II's? Is this what reviewers call "analytical" sound?

Any advice more experienced ML owners is much appreciated.

They make the most difference between my CDP and pre-amp.
This is where I also hear the most difference with cables - Source to Pre.

Yet, after a surprisingly short time, I developed listener fatigue, and noticed the overall sound is now "unbalanced."
This is the same issue I had with Nordost. But there are others here on the site who love Nordost cables in their rig.

IMO cables are part of system synergy and are decided by end user preference (sound you are looking for) for what is best. Like Nordost some here love them, some do not like them. Neither is right or wrong, just what they like.

Each company cables and cables within the same company have their own signature or sound and you need to hear them to decide.

Any advice more experienced ML owners is much appreciated.
Keep auditioning and listening to cables until you find the ones you like. Set your budget and listen to as many as you can. Eventually you will find some that you really love.

Can you audit Purist at home? I think Purist cable has better tonal balance.

I love them and hate them! I have never heard such detail, such air, such natural attack and decay from my system as with the Baldur's. The upper frequencies are fabulous. Cymbals have never sounded so good. I was blown away when I first listened. Yet, after a surprisingly short time, I developed listener fatigue, and noticed the overall sound is now "unbalanced." The high frequencies are too forward, too loud. Instead of listening to the music, I am listening to the cymbals, the trumpets, and have a harder time hearing the vocals. I do not notice this nearly as much with classical orchestral music. But for jazz, I am happy and unhappy.

Hm... er... well... um... what can I say?

Well, I use Red Dawn with Eichmann bullets as an interconnect (0.5m) and Red Dawn bi-wired speaker cables. I don't hear anything like your description. Relative to other cables I tried, I find it extremely smooth, unfatiging, and very detailed/relaxed in it's presentation. I'm sold on it.

Why such a difference in opinion, I wonder? Maybe Baldur is a different fish.

At any rate, if they are causing you any sort of grief, they are NOT RIGHT for you and your system. Keep trying other alternatives.

Interesting observation. Red Dawn's are the top of the Flatline series, whereas Baldur's are the bottom of the Norse series, which goes Baldur, Heimdall, then Frey. They have 2, 4, and 6 conductors. It seems good bass response needs thicker gauge wire, so I wonder if going up to the Frey would keep the airy top end but rebalance the overall sound by increasing the bass/mid-bass.

Is anyone here using Nordost Frey?

Of course, the cheapest thing would be to switch everything to Signal Cable. But of course, to quote the godfather of punk "I need more!" Since I've heard how fabulous the top end can be with my system, I want to try and maximize its potential.

(I saw your Sex Pistols signature, I have the original LP too, and though I'd hit you with an Iggy quote, but when I checked my post your sig had changed and beat me to it! Well done. Great choices of music and lyrics. I've always wanted to try and hypnotize a chicken :))

Last edited:
Here's a pic of Baldur aginst Red Dawn taken at Bristol 2009, but never posted. It might be worth trying the Red Dawn as opposed to the Baldur. The construction looks very different. I know it's cheaper, but cables are weird - you might prefer it and save some pennies.

Oh, but then you need more - than you ever did before:)!

Just a thought, anyway.

Attachments

• sdc11161.jpg
    sdc11161.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,091
Last edited:
Back