Newest "audiophile cd's from Christmas?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioraptured

Reaction score
While asking about another label in the previous post, I thought about if anyone has bought any new "audiophile" cd's, or just great sounding cd's, or even heard of new masters, or got any of the aforementioned for Christmas? I'm just looking to upgrade my listening selection with either new or recently released showcase examples (much like some of the recommended choices in older threads.) Anyone care to make a recommendation? Thanks again...

I just got "U2 18 singles"...it's a very good collection of their popular songs thru the ages.

Long list... but I wanted some fresh music for the new system...

Santa brought several in SACD or DVD-A

• Blue Man Group: The Complex
    Spyro Gyra: The Deep End
    Peter Gabriel: Shaking the Tree
    The Police: Synchronicity
    Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
    Aerosmith: Ultimate Hits
    Billy Joel: 52nd Street

CDs

• Chris the Greek Panachi: Working the Mix
    Afro Celt Sound System: Vol 1 Sound Magic
    Afro Celt Sound System: Anatomic
    Benz Street: Tranceflux

Sara K. - Hobo (Chesky Records)

as well as a ton of other Chesky records stuff not for Christmas, but through trading at lala.com

"Newest" audiophile

Thanks for some great selections:
theWB; I just bought that one so you have great taste.
ScottG; that Billy Joel is my favorite by him especially Until the Night so if you have the original, please let me know if the difference in sound is worth the difference in price. And how good is the Blue Man Group?
Thai; I think I saw that at a Starbucks; but I got all their cd's anyway, thanks
Cherian; that may be way out of my after Christmas price range
IWalker; I'm checking the Chesky stuff, thanks

Sara K. (Hobo) Like IWalker
The Blind Boys of Alabama-Praying Time
DreamGirls-Music from Motion Picture
Diana Krall-from this moment on
Andrew LLoyd Webber-Divas
Jimi hendrix-The Best of
Fairfield Four-Standing In the Saftey Zone

ScottG; that Billy Joel is my favorite by him especially Until the Night so if you have the original, please let me know if the difference in sound is worth the difference in price. And how good is the Blue Man Group?

I'm planning on listening to 52nd street tonight and will report back... Blue man group is AWESOME... you should probably get the DVD first because a lot of their appeal is the 'show'... but the sounds are just fantastic.

New DVD

I got "Real Live Road Running", Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler.
Stunning sound and a great selection of tunes. I have a cheap TV and it looks great. I would bet on an quality HD set-up it would be fantastic.
I highly recommend checking this one out!

I got "Real Live Road Running", Emmylou Harris and Mark Knopfler.
Stunning sound and a great selection of tunes. I have a cheap TV and it looks great. I would bet on an quality HD set-up it would be fantastic.
I highly recommend checking this one out!
Interesting??? I have the CD of this and the quality was dissapointing for a Knopfler release. I agree on the tunes...Great music.

Have you compared the DVD to the CD?

Dan

Real Live Roadrunning

I have the studio CD also. I agree not up to Knopfler's usual supreme quality, but good none the less.
The live DVD (which also includes a CD) is very , very good for a live performance. Everything is there.
I am biased though, I have been listening to Emmylou for over 30 years and I am still in love.

Some recommendations !

Hi audioraptured,

Here are some pretty good recordings of enjoyable music, at least to my ears :

- Anouar Brahem "Le Voyage de Sahar" (ECM CD)
- Loreena McKennitt "An Ancient Muse" (Quinlan Road CD).
- Sarah McLachlan "Wintersong" (Nettwerk CD).

Happy listening !

- Loreena McKennitt "An Ancient Muse" (Quinlan Road CD).
Her first album in almost 9 years if I remember some of the write-up on it. Great Loreena music - that is if you like Loreena. I would not categorize it as "Audiophile" quality or demonstration disc quality, just good Loreena music.

Dan

audiophile cd's for Christmas

theWB: good afternoon; got the "Greatest Audiophile" and it does sound great. A very good example of a demo disc
IWalker, can you tell me a little more about SaraK as I am not familiar with this artist?
jtwrace, would you also give me a quick word about the "Hobo" recording and why you like it.
Kaliar, I loved the other McKennitt I got so I will definitely give this one a listen, thanks
ScottG, what was the difference, did you get a chance to compair yet?

Latest posts

Back