Newbie Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerneil

Reaction score
I am finally at a point in my life where I can afford the things that I only drooled over earlier in my life. (When I graduated from college I still remember going in to a high end audio store and hearing some ML speakers, matched up with MacIntosh tube amps - this left a lasting impression on me for 25 years.) Last week I made the plunge in to the world of better audio and purchased a pair of ML Sources. They are to arrive this week - and I can't wait!

I will admit that I am a 100% NEWBIE in this audio world and my goal is to learn everything I can from this site and a few others and slowly build a worthy audio system that may eventually approach "audiophile" status. I will attempt to avoid buying components that have to be replaced multiple times, and I am content to proceed slowly one step at a time.

I am fortunate to have my own man-cave room that is pretty much dedicated to music. The room is 14 X 19 and has relatively good acoustic properties to start with (not perfect by any means, but it is good enough to start). My goal right now is two-fold: have a great home theatre experience AND also enjoy great CD listening. My ML's will greatly improve both of these goals. I can already see how much I enjoy listening to music in this room, and I can envision the music listening overtaking the movie as top priority.

My initial question for the experts on this site is as follows: if I have $2000 budget for a new amp to drive my ML's what should I purchase? Am I better off waiting and spending more $? Should I go used equipment route? (Right now I am using a relatvely new RX-V667 7.2 Channel AV Receiver) PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM A NEWBIE AND DON'T FLAME ME FOR MY EQUIPMENT THAT I AM STARTING WITH.... I selected this amp last year because I had no idea I was heading toward liking music listening so much. At the time it did everything I wanted it to do - nicely automated, sounded great with my old speakers, did amazing things for home theatre surround processing, accepted mutiple HDMI inputs, controlled my other components, etc. (Fortunately it can drive 8, 6, or 4 ohm loads, so I do have something I can at least start with.)

My plan is to slowly over time replace everything, but I am looking for ideas for the next step. Is there a logical and established best set of steps to follow when making this change to better quality audio, who knows - maybe I will even eventually be able to call myself an audiophile????

Thanks!

bikerneil

If you're going to do music and HT, I would consider a used Sunfire 5 channel amp. A lot of guys use them with great success and it will provide you room to grow as you add an ESL center channel and maybe even rears.

Yes -I have the Sunfire Signature 5 channel amp.... I recommend it as well.... If you are looking used - I would opt for the Signature version of the amps....

You can learn a lot on forums like this, but nothing replaces listening. I would expect that living in CA would put you close to some people that have been into this hobby for a while. If you could connect with a local group or someone close by it would help a lot.
Visit dealers.
Visit shows.
It doesn't need to be Martin Logan stuff.

Back