Newbi needs help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra15

Reaction score
First let me start off by saying you all have a great and very informative site. I am very new to this and still learning tons of information. A while back I purchased two Mosaic's which I am currently using as my front speakers. I also purchased a pioneer elite VSX-81txv receiver but after reading in the forums I wish I would have gone a different route. I guess this will have to do for now. As bad as it may sound I am using my TV speaker as the center. Its not doing me much good but times were tough and wasn't able to purchase anything else. At the moment I am looking to purchase the rears. I have found a few good deals on used speakers which I may jump on but wanted to get your advice before I did.

Do you recommend that I purchase the Vignettes for the rear or purchase another two Mosaic's for the rear. Which combination will work best with my fronts.

Thanks in advance

In a perfect world (where money is not a factor) all speakers would be the same, 7 Mosaics. But finances always come into play, especially this year. Usually the surrounds and rear surrounds are smaller and cheaper than the fronts. Since the Mosaics and the Vignettes are both thin film technology speakers the match should be very good and if the cost savings is there that is what I would do. I would also use the savings and start a fund for a good center channel. and later a Grotto sub as funding permits.

Burke:

thank you for the help.. Locally I have a guy that is selling two Mosaics for $500. Only problem is that these are black and the ones I currently have are light brown. Correct me if Im wrong but this seems to be a good enough price that I shouldn't be to worreid about color. Then the other person is selling 3 vignettes for 1,000. Good thing about this is the size and i can use one as a center channel for now. As for the sub I currently have the dynamo. At the time I saw the grotto but couldnt squeeze her in

You wouldn't be able to even get Vignette's for that price, I would go for it. I would then get a vignette or fresco for the center and you will have a pretty solid system.

Bad news.. The mosaics at that price have been sold. I guess im going to go with the vignettes for now and upgrade little by little. Opinions??

I think two mosaics and three vignettes would be a good system with great synergy. It really depends on if you plan to stay with those speakers or if this is going to be a stepping-stone for you. Maybe expand out to a 7.1 system with the mosaics in the side and vignettes in the rear in the future? Like Burke already said, you want similar construction in at least the L/R front and center channel, so keep that in mind for your future purchases.

Back