New panels - yet REW thinks they're rubbish!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not worry - Panels are notorious for measuring poorly and sounding very well.
This is mine Expressions - you can see huge dip around crossover, which is really visible only in measurements in listening position [and is a function of mic placement].

I really use REW just to measure bass part, where it has nice and consistent results [mostly for my current puzzle of placing new bass traps] and I do the rest by ear [tilt, toe-in]. For mid-highs I look more into time domain [impulse, spectrogram, ECT] to see whether I am on track.

I am not loving ML's because of flat FR. For this I have Neumanns ;-)

1638192815523.png

I would not worry - Panels are notorious for measuring poorly and sounding very well.
This is mine Expressions - you can see huge dip around crossover, which is really visible only in measurements in listening position [and is a function of mic placement].
I agree, panels measure very poorly yet sound glorious
I've also found small mic movements leading to dramatically different FR curves on top of that.

I agree, panels measure very poorly yet sound glorious
WHAT!!!! You mean there's subjectivity involved with AUDIO? Well dagnabbit, I s'pose that's why turntable and vinyl still exist... and fancy speaker cables, slate pedestals and power conditioners, too.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty darn sure that my truck runs a WHOLE lot smoother after I do some work on it, too... never fails... I'm just that good (NOT! Just ask my ex!).

And for the all-to-literally minded, yes, I am attempting lamely at humor, using self-deprecation and sarcasm. Now, if only we could get our "News Networks" to issue disclaimers like that... just imagine.. "We are spewing this opinionated drivel in order to rile up the masses while we try stay relevant"...

Sigh...

come on you old coot, you know you can't hear ! LOL, on a serious note Gordon, did you really ask that question ?

Hi Dave. I'm not an old coot. I just turned 71. However, at my age, sometimes you forget shit and keep asking the same questions. Hope all is well with you and family. :)

Break-in, ha ha, particularly in electronics that are at operating temp.
People in various forums 'break-in' DACs and cables for weeks.
They are smoothing the electrons or something..

Alternatively the brain gets used to it - habituation.
Neural pathways are far more likely to be at play.

Break-in, ha ha, particularly in electronics that are at operating temp.
People in various forums 'break-in' DACs and cables for weeks.
They are smoothing the electrons or something..

Alternatively the brain gets used to it - habituation.
Neural pathways are far more likely to be at play.
I'm not one of those who will "break-in" cables and such. But, the panels "do" need break-in time. My Expressions needed over 130 hours, and I documented the changes along the way. The last noticeable sound to settle down was a piercing note that would zing out and was uncomfortable to listen to on a Santana album. Other than piercing or shrill sounds, the panels were mostly settled down in about half that amount of time.

Believe me, the sounds I documented were very obvious and somewhat painful to hear, unlike nuances some talk about like you mentioned.

Here we're talking mechanical tolerances, materials stretching etc.

different ball game.

Hi Dave. I'm not an old coot. I just turned 71. However, at my age, sometimes you forget shit and keep asking the same questions. Hope all is well with you and family. :)

LOL Gordon, all well here, hope the same with you ! (y)

LOL Gordon, all well here, hope the same with you ! (y)
from what i was told the SL3 woofer is out of phase with the stat panel so maybe this is what ur running into and why the Rew is telling u they are not measuring good.

from what i was told the SL3 woofer is out of phase with the stat panel so maybe this is what ur running into and why the Rew is telling u they are not measuring good.

?????

Easy to test, but that would be mainly around the crossover frequency

Latest posts

Back