New non ML system advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necrosuit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am finally diving into the world of HT.
Im turning my living room into a Ht system. My beloved CLX 2 channel room will always be just that, 2 channel! So anyway for starters I have a 50" plazma Panasonic, I have for main front speakers the Duevel "Venus" omni radius speaker. thats it! I am considering getting the Anthem D2v processor (which would be from a trade). So since I know nothing about HT, what center speaker and satelites would work well with the Duevel's? I wont be going crazy at first and I am curious if an ML center speaker would work well with the Duevel's??? any opinions are always appreciated. this will be a 5.1 system. cheers!

Hi Pete,

I'm going to politely sidestep your question about speaker pairing with the Duevels and counter with a video question... is there any way your room will accommodate projection? If there's one thing I've learned wrt HT (and this seems to apply to certain other areas of life as well), bigger is better. In my HT, which WAS routinely used for movie screening (but has for about the last year been essentially commandeered by the kids for gaming), I've found that image size is a huge factor. May seem to go without saying, but I'm saying it anyway. You might consider getting a (surprisingly affordable) 1080p projector and quality screen. Just my 2.

I had a a good friend over the other day and we watched Battle: LA - all he could say was "Wow" over and over again. It's surprising how damned crisp and clear 1080p is even when filling a relatively large 144" screen.

BTW, do you and necro-dad have an eta in mind toward the end of this month (assuming you still plan to make the side-trip up here to Portland)?

Cheers!

I would offer a somewhat different piece of advice. Audition the Yamaha YSP line with a good subwooffer. This may all you need.

Will this be a full blown HT system? No, but it will sound very nice and fit just about anywhere. And save you a ton of money to do something else.

Hey Todd,
Well Unfortunately once again my living room is small. We will only be 14 ft from the viewing wall but the room is long (wide). So I Cant really fit anything bigger than a 70" tv, plus the TV actually is mounted underneath out Mitshubishi AC unit so again, limitations. Im also really not looking to go to crazy, rather spend all my money on the 2 channel. When we sell this house and make some good money on it and get our next bigger house, I will absolutely go nuts.
Todd My dad will be in new hampshire the last week of July and first week of August, I plan on being up there for me B-day weekend which is August 7th. So I would plan on us coming up on August 6th. let me know if that works for you.

Robert, I will check out the Yamaha, thanks for your comments. Necro

Hey Pete,

Aug 6 works! It is a bit of a drive here from Lake Winnie, so I'll understand if you decide to forgo, but just let me know a few days ahead of time and I'll clear my schedule if you and Necro Senior decide to make the run.

Cheers!

Todd,

I sent you a pm. Also I am looking at some used Martin Logan center channels, especially the Cinema and theater. Are these good centers? I know they are dated but again not looking to spend too too much this time around, will they work well with the 360 degree Venus mains? So I guess the bigger question is, wich type of center channel will work best with 360 degree speakers? again thanks guys.

Todd,

I sent you a pm. Also I am looking at some used Martin Logan center channels, especially the Cinema and theater. Are these good centers? I know they are dated but again not looking to spend too too much this time around, will they work well with the 360 degree Venus mains? So I guess the bigger question is, wich type of center channel will work best with 360 degree speakers? again thanks guys.

Yep... received your pm and responded.

Sorry, no experience with either of those centers. I will tell you though that I have been thrilled with my Logos CC since day one and it still sounds incredibly realistic to this day. Excellent job wrt natural sounding dialogue and, well, the whole spectrum really for what it's intended to cover. Also, great dispersion into the room (my HT is appx 16' by 21' with 7 seats - 4 behind 3)

Todd,

once again I didnt get your PM as usual, please send to my private email as you should still have.

I went through a bit of an unintentional email "cleansing" and no longer have your email address. Shoot me an email and I'll respond.

So since I am not going to be spending tons of cash on this system, here is where I am at:
I can get a brand new Anthem MRX 700 Receiver for $1600 (good source) or I can get a brand new Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp and a used Marantz AV8003 together for $2k. I still need a center channel that will work with my Duevel Venus speakers.
So is it best to get a receiver or get the seperates? keep in mind I am not looking to make this setup incredible like my 2 channel but I want the best bang for buck. cheers

Well on the center channel subject personally I dont know what kind of budget you are shooting for but my top two center channels I have ever heard (and yes I have listened to a lot) were the Martin Logan Stage, and the B&W HTM2 Diamond. Those are both also some of the most expensive centers I have heard. BUT the Motif Center Channel is fantastic and is actually an LCR so you can get multiple Motifs and build a full system. But I have quite a bit of experience with the B&W CM Centre 2 and that Center is great.

Not on a related note, have you taken a listen to the Genelec speakers? In my opinion some of the best "cinema" speakers ever! I dont know where you live, but if you live near a Magnolia AV Design Center they do have a theater doom setup with a full Genelec 7.2 sound system. The nice part about the Genelecs is that they are powered so you do not need an amp, just a processor and some long XLR cables.

Now I have no experience with your speakers, but some other omni-directional speakers that might fit "well" off the top of my head Mirage, Monitor Audio, Definitive Technologies, Omnisphere, MBL, and Shahinian.

Thanks guys, I ended up grabbing a ML Cinema i for $400 locally. and I couldnt be happier! it blends well with my Duevels.

Necro,

I know it is considered a taboo by many but I have been using my CLXs in a 5.1 system for years now. The CLXs paired with a Stage, Logos, or other ML center along with a very good sub will transport you in to a different level of HT experience. If you checkout System 275 in the members section you will see two of the three HT systems that I use. They are all ML based and my HT has been ML based since the early 90s.

The nice thing about a full 5.1 or even a 7.2 HT system is that you can always make it a 2 channel system at the switch of a button, so you really are in a win-win situation. Also there is a world of Bluerary, DVD Audio and SACD, 5.1 music material that you may just fall in love with on your HT.........or maybe not, but if you have the HT system you might as well listen to some 5.1 material and see or rather hear for your self. DSOTM in 5.1 is unbelievable but I digress.

Based on my lifetime of experience I have to agree with Todd, the bigger the screen the better. I am currently using a 120 inch DaLite Hi-Power screen along with a very good 2D/3D projector. The combination of very good 3D material and the logans for the sound field, well we no longer watch movies, we experience them:rocker:

Bottom line, moving in to the world of HT with your Logans is about as fun a journey as you can go on, and you never have to leave the house. Don't worry about your starting point. Buy what you want when you want and just enjoy building on it and changing it, the journey can be very long and enjoyable. For me when I got to the CLXs (4) with Stage center and JL Gotham for Sub, I literally found the end of the journey and I still enjoy it every day.

Last edited:
Yes I know it is but Honestly I wouldnt be against it if I had the proper room size! I am planning on getting a second used pair of CLX next year and hopefully pair that with my others and Decent i. The only way I will get a bigger room for now is if I rebuild the basement which unfortunatley has 7FT cielings and ofcourse, ITS the BASEMENT!! dry though. Yes Im planning on the Blue Ray Floyd additions! cheers guys.

Necro,

The nice thing about a full 5.1 or even a 7.2 HT system is that you can always make it a 2 channel system at the switch of a button, so you really are in a win-win situation. Also there is a world of Bluerary, DVD Audio and SACD, 5.1 music material that you may just fall in love with on your HT.........or maybe not, but if you have the HT system you might as well listen to some 5.1 material and see or rather hear for your self. DSOTM in 5.1 is unbelievable but I digress.

I agree, for example the SACD of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is in 5.1 and sounds so awesome with the surround effects.

Just pre-ordered Both DSOTM & Wall Immersions!! yeaaaaa. thanks

Latest posts

Back