New ML owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kovacsr

Reaction score
Still in set up mode for combination ht/ listening.
Current gear in boxes
Pair of Voyages for the front l/r
Stage Center
Pair of passages / tickets / Script i
Need to decide what to keep or sell
Anyone help me out with a general question.
Is matching the Scripts with the Voyages / Stage passage a large no no?
thanks,
Rudy :confused:

More information would help us help you.

1. How big is the room you are planning to use?
2. What components do you have to drive this system?
3. What percentage do you expect to be Home Theater vs. Music Listening? How important is the sound of each to you?
4. What kind of subwoofer are you using or thinking of purchasing?
5. What kind of budget do you have?

I think for home theater, the voyages would be great for front L/R with passages (5.1 setup) or passages and tickets (7.1 setup) for the rears. If this is the setup you go with, then I think the Stage is probably overkill, but it will certainly work. For this setup, a fresco i would work just fine for a center and cost a whole lot less than the stage. This same setup would be fine for music for a lot of folks, but it is not the high-end ESL experience that most of us are looking for when we buy Martin Logan speakers. This is your more budget-oriented option. If you went this route, the ML dynamo would be a good sub to consider if you don't already have one.

If you want to match a system that is worthy of the stage as a center, I believe you need electrostatic panels for your front L&R speakers. It is possible that you could use the scripts for this, but that would not be your best option. The scripts mount on the wall and that is not the best placement for front L&R speakers. If you did go this route, you would want to mount some acoustical absorptive material behind the scripts to absorb the back wave. You would also have to work really hard to get placement perfect before you mounted them. As I said, I don't believe this is your best option.

If you were to purchase one of the newer models (such as the Vista or Vantage), you would have a speaker of the caliber of the Stage to match with your system and it would be awesome for home theater and music listening. In this case, the scripts would work well for surrounds, as would the Voyages or Passages. ML Depth i or Descent i would be great subs to match with this system.

Personally, I would only go this route if the rest of the components in your system are of high enough quality (or if you plan to upgrade over time) to get the most out of this purchase. This is your more expensive option, and please understand that if you are really in to music listening then this option will probably induce you to spend lots of money upgrading your other components over time. You have been warned. ;)

Back