New member with CLS IIa

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tapepath

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I'm a new member who has owned the CLS IIa for several years and I have enjoyed them thoroughly. I like to build my own audio gear, whenever possible and enjoy both analogue and digital program material, providing it's well recorded. I use vacuum tube gear and like to collect vinyl and open reel tapes.
Cheers, Ken

welcome!

I've been a member here for several months. I've learned lots, and I think you'll find great people here with lots of passion for music and life. There are several die-hard analogers too! I'm interested to hear what gear you've built in the past.

Have fun,
Ben

Hello Everyone!
I'm a new member who has owned the CLS IIa for several years and I have enjoyed them thoroughly. I like to build my own audio gear, whenever possible and enjoy both analogue and digital program material, providing it's well recorded. I use vacuum tube gear and like to collect vinyl and open reel tapes.
Cheers, Ken

hey there and welcome!

i have a penchant for reel to reel myself, and have a pair of CLS as well. i have a pair of spare MC60 tube amps that i am interested in using to drive the CLS - if they weren't on a different floor and didn't weigh four trillian pounds :)

do you drive your CLS with tubes?

Hello Ben,
Thanks for the warm welcome, I've been reading some of the posts and have already learned a great deal. The first component I built, from the ground up, is a tube pre-amp. Then I built an AC line conditioner that was able to be connected to a isolation transformer that I built into an old o'scope chassis that a friend had given me. I collect open reel tape recorders and have completely torn some down and overhauled them. The project I'm having fun with now is re-building some Altec 1570B amps.
Also, the Tape Project open reel tapes are pretty amazing as well.
Regards, Ken

Hello Zaphod,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Yes, I'm using a venerable c-j MV75a-1 that I've thrown a few new parts in over the years. I tend to keep audio gear for many years and work to optimize it with the rest of the system. I've found that the KT90 output tubes works well, in that amplifier, with the CLS, for example.
Take care, Ken

Ken, welcome to land Of "Logan Love", you are amongst many other diehard CLS owners for sure, look forward to continued dialouge.

welcome fellow CLS owner. We have a few who love tubes here. I to am a DIY in some aspects. I have built stands for my CLS and a few SUBS in my day. I even have tweaked a few ML speakers.
Get some pics of the system up !

You're not a train buff also, are you?

How'd you guess ?? !!

Shot is of my buddys Railroad in Upstate Pa, Delaware Lackawana, part of GVT Holdings.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 306
Hello,
Now that is cool, having a friend who has a railroad! I model the Erie Lackawanna, circa 60's, in n-scale. But there's nothing to compare with real trains. Very cool!
I have a print of a Monet painting of the Paris train station on the wall behind the turntable.
Regards, Ken

Welcome Ken!

Its good to see that there is a continued interest in open reel among forum members. If properly done, reel to reel can sound pretty good.....tape is a little more 'hands on' than vinyl but I encourage others to attend tape sessions when possible. Some of the new 1/4" two-track releases will really knock your socks off.

I'm currently having my 1/2" ATR-800 converted over to 1/4" by ATR Services to join the 'tape project' crowd. Although I am anxious to get into the new TP releases, you can often find original studio masters on 1/2" and some of them are quite enjoyable....makes me wonder if I should keep the 1/2" headstack and find an alternate for the mods.

The older you get, the bigger the trains get. Around here we run 12" gauge.

Tj

Attachments

• g12train.jpg
    g12train.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 241
Martin Logan fan but new to board..

Hello everyone,

I own two prs. of Aerius i's : one pair in our home theater and the other in my primary 2CH system. I feel like a bit of a piker here with postings of Statements and so forth but must admit that my diminutive little system sounds very good. I run the Aerius i's with a Velodyne sub and the sound is pretty fulfilling at least to my ears. I am considering the Spires but have concerns. I know they have what is essentially built in subwoofers with adjustable levels but it seems that with any hybrid planar speaker with a subwoofer, in order to get optimum performance, the planar side of the equation needs to be several feet from the back and side walls as they are in my system. But the subwoofers don't belong out there, being much happier in a corner or at least next to the back wall. For that reason I am hesitant to make the jump. I am told that the new Spires with their newer panel technology and that super duper crossover should sound more transparent than my Aerius's but even with those 10" "subwoofers", I can't see me automatically ditching the Velodyne. Has anyone here on the board upgraded from the Aerius to the Spires and if so, could you try and describe the difference. The local dealer is willing to bring a pr. out for an in-home demo so I'm thinking about doing that. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hello,
Here are some photos of the amplifiers I'm building. They are classic Altec 1570B units that I've stripped down to bare chassis and am overhauling. I'm trying to get the point-to-point wiring as nice as i can make it. The first shot is the top of the chassis showing the black textured powder coating finish and some of the tube sockets. The second is the under side with about 2/3 of the wiring complete. And the third shot is the big AC transformer that i had the bell housings powder coated red.

Attachments

• aLTEC1570B.2.jpg
    aLTEC1570B.2.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 183
  • altec1570B.jpg
    altec1570B.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 183
  • ALTEC1577Btran.jpg
    ALTEC1577Btran.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 181

Latest posts

Back