New member. Thanks for having me.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satoru53

Reaction score
I am a new member but long time music lover. Been listening and collecting music and gear since the mid 60's. I just picked up a pair of Sequel II speakers. Ive owned other M.L in the past. CLS Arieus.

Look forward to the discussions.

Welcome. The Sequel II was my first ML that I bought in 1990. Over the years I replaced the stock capacitors and woofer and got new stat panels. When I replaced them 5 years ago in my AV system with the Theos what surprised me the most was not how different they sounded, rather how similar they were. I interpret this as testimony to how good the Sequel II was/is. Just make sure the "sagging panel syndrome" has been addressed, if not the stats will definitely drop over time.

Welcome to the forum! Longtime Martin-Logan owner here (ReQuests from 2002 - 2010, Summits 2010 - present). Lots of great information and very helpful folks here. I hope you enjoy yourself immensely.

Welcome! I'm relatively new here as well. You should enjoy this friendly board!

Rock on Steelhead the Summits you sold me are sounding so sweet..and your advice friendship and help is a blessing ..thanks Danny

Welcome
reQuests to Summits to 15a's and what a fun ride

Listened with the neighbors last evening from 8pm to 2am.

What a blast. I started in the 60's as well.
Rock On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I listened with the neighbors over the weekend too! Of course I'm not sure they like CSS The Organ Symphony - perhaps I should have invited them over...

Hey Almost Home - I played Ballads and Rainbows both on American Gramaphone vinyl yesterday - relaxing and nice but when the neighbors come over they want Joe Jackson, Bruce Springsteen (Jersey kids so required) and they enjoy some of my 60's rock.

Hey Danny - Come to NY if and when it is ever warm again (Jeezus it's like I never left Anchorage)
Glad you are enjoying the Summits. I loved them and thought long and hard about sending them down the road as they did everything I ever wanted in a pair of speakers but with the house sale during the height of the market and Shawn's generous discount it made the 15a's an easier decision. Haven't really broken them in yet as I just got my Manley monoblocks back but they are already impressive as Hell. Come Listen!!!!!!!!!!

Peace

Welcome. The Sequel II was my first ML that I bought in 1990. Over the years I replaced the stock capacitors and woofer and got new stat panels. When I replaced them 5 years ago in my AV system with the Theos what surprised me the most was not how different they sounded, rather how similar they were. I interpret this as testimony to how good the Sequel II was/is. Just make sure the "sagging panel syndrome" has been addressed, if not the stats will definitely drop over time.

My panels did drop down an inch. M.L. sent me some support pieces. Took me about 15 minutes per speaker to fix. I commend Martin Logan for their great customer service.

Hey Almost Home - I played Ballads and Rainbows both on American Gramaphone vinyl yesterday - relaxing and nice but when the neighbors come over they want Joe Jackson, Bruce Springsteen (Jersey kids so required) and they enjoy some of my 60's rock.

Hey Danny - Come to NY if and when it is ever warm again (Jeezus it's like I never left Anchorage)
Glad you are enjoying the Summits. I loved them and thought long and hard about sending them down the road as they did everything I ever wanted in a pair of speakers but with the house sale during the height of the market and Shawn's generous discount it made the 15a's an easier decision. Haven't really broken them in yet as I just got my Manley monoblocks back but they are already impressive as Hell. Come Listen!!!!!!!!!!

Peace
I see where Ron Cooley did "Rainbows". Who did "Ballads"?
Thanks.

Welcome, if they 'had' me 17 years ago then for sure you are welcome here ! (y)

Hey BigGuy

Ballads is an orchestral album with numerous players, the featured player is Jackson Berkey, Pianist. Orchestration is by Chip Davis.

Beautifully rendered and purchased at the same time (1982-or thereabouts) as I picked up Ballads.

Will not get into the vinyl and cd debate as I enjoy both formats but both albums are beautifully recorded and the vinyl is dead quiet and although both are not tour de forces projects the sound is extremely impressive and the quality is close to Classic, AP, Mofi and Telarc.

Happy spinning!!!

Hey BigGuy

Ballads is an orchestral album with numerous players, the featured player is Jackson Berkey, Pianist. Orchestration is by Chip Davis.

Beautifully rendered and purchased at the same time (1982-or thereabouts) as I picked up Ballads.

Will not get into the vinyl and cd debate as I enjoy both formats but both albums are beautifully recorded and the vinyl is dead quiet and although both are not tour de forces projects the sound is extremely impressive and the quality is close to Classic, AP, Mofi and Telarc.

Happy spinning!!!

Big fan of Chip Davis' recordings including Mannheim Steamroller. Back in the day when they/MS were doing one of the Christmas recordings, they solicited suggestions for pieces to include. I suggested "What Child Is This" aka "Greensleeves", one of my all time faves! They sent me a copy of the CD as a Thank You. I gave up after "7"!

I searched on Jackson Berkey, Chip Davis w and w/o Ballads and got no hits. Please provide recording ID, etc., so I can track it down.

Bigguy,

Ballads - Debussy, Rachmaninoff, and Satie -Teldec/Germany vinyl - deadwax - KM13280 AG-371-A1

Rainbows-Teldec/Germany vinyl AG-378-B QB 102682-4TR

I have five of the Manheim Steamroller albums and need to pull them and spin them as well.

Both ballads and rainbows are quality enough to use as demos to sell speakers if you're not cranking AC/DC and want to show a different flavor to a listener.

If you can't run down or score a copy let me know. I have an old Alesis masterlink and can can record either/both for you and render to cd. I use 20/88 oversampling to record and then fold it down to redbook and most of the time they turn out nicely.

Happy Spinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigguy,

Ballads - Debussy, Rachmaninoff, and Satie -Teldec/Germany vinyl - deadwax - KM13280 AG-371-A1

Rainbows-Teldec/Germany vinyl AG-378-B QB 102682-4TR

I have five of the Manheim Steamroller albums and need to pull them and spin them as well.

Both ballads and rainbows are quality enough to use as demos to sell speakers if you're not cranking AC/DC and want to show a different flavor to a listener.

If you can't run down or score a copy let me know. I have an old Alesis masterlink and can can record either/both for you and render to cd. I use 20/88 oversampling to record and then fold it down to redbook and most of the time they turn out nicely.

Happy Spinning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have searched on many bits and pieces of the information you provided for (1) Ballads and (2) Rainbows.
For whatever reason I cannot seem to find references to either recording?!
As time permits would appreciate your providing links to sources, articles, etc., on these albums.
In the meantime, I have made a similar inquiry to Warner/Teldec.
Thanks.

Welcome, we're glad you're here Satoru53. The more the merrier, and makes things better for everyone. I've received lots of help here, from the many who are more knowledgeable than I. And, as the famed philosopher Yogi Berra once remarked, "you can learn a lot just by watching".:)

I don't know any ballads by any of those composers, but Chopin and Brahms wrote ballads. Just listened to Chopin/Rubinstein (on my CLS II's) on a 24/96 file from HDTracks. Stunning! Like I was playing them on my piano in the next room (don't I wish).

But the album in question, I copied and pasted into Google and it came right up on Amazon, a CD. So I don't see how it could be that hard to find.

Also read up on Jackson Berkey. The Wikipedia article incorrectly identifies "Mannheim steamroller" as an ascending arpeggio. That's a "rocket", a "steamroller" is something else, a gradual crescendo. That's where Jackson and Berkey got the name.

Latest posts

Back