New Member - Prospective ML Purity interest, Purity Info

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexi

Reaction score
Hello ML Club,
I am a new member and I am looking into purchasing the Purity. Could you help me out with some information? I have never owned an ML but have always liked the sound and the built-in amp is an attractive feature.

Any ML Purity or Source owners out there? If so, are these models better suited for movie listening? If you could, please provide your thoughts as I am interested in listening to these at some point, but I want to go in having some information. I did take a brief listen but not long enough and the listening area was not ideal.

I understand that the Purity has its own built- in amp. Does this preclude the sonic signature of any existing amps that are utilized? In other words why bother having a nice quality amp if this speaker negates its use. Is it good for music listening or do you have to step up a few models (which I am not inclined to do because of cost and budget)? Please provide your own thoughts or reviews.
Thanks for your help.

Personally, I wouldn't want to bother with an amplifier with these speakers. The only thing that concerns me is having very long, unbalanced RCA cables run through the electronic epicenter of the house. I've never liked the idea of speaker-level inputs, but that bias dates from the old days of car audio when the amps really weren't that good and speaker-level inputs just sounded ass. You're not going to escape any sonic signature of an amp, but you might get a cleaner signal than RCAs depending on placement of speakers and other components. The amp will have a super-easy job, though, with basically no current load on it.

As for music, I haven't heard these personally, but I would expect them to play music better than anything you'll find in Crutchfield or at McSpeakerTown in the mall. Certainly they're not going to hold a candle to Vantages, but by all reports I've seen they sound great, even for the price.

Latest posts

Back