New member- hello all!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Reaction score
After many days of lurking and reading (and finally signing up) I figured I should introduce myself! I have just graduated from college and thus have been spending my new found wealth on upgrading my stereo/ home theater system while saving some on the side. My current setup is about six-seven years old now, so it has been time to upgrade.
I should say that what brought me to ML was a Tweeter employee who played a few SACDs over them- compared to every speaker I had heard so far (B&W, Paradigm, few others) these were simply eargasmic (only way to describe them!!!!) I couldnt imagine how or where so much sound could be reproduced by these no cone panels!!!!! Needless to say here I am now!
My girlfriend and myself are large movie buffs but also enjoy current music tastes. Both of us played orchestral instruments (violin for her/ double bass for myself) I was, however, a Jazz musician by heart:D so sound quality is very important to us.
I will say that my receiver that I recently purchased was a Pioneer Elite VSX-TSX84i (this current model-line top of the line receiver). I have read great things about this receiver which is why it is the center of my setup but was sad to hear that it is not the greatest for music. Anyways, I will be looking to you all for help as for speakers and cables to use.
I look forward to meeting you all and reading what you all can teach me! :cheers:
Nik Mattheus
Lubbock, Tx

Hi! Have you bought your speakers yet or are you in the research stage now?

Mmm double bass - I'm jealous. I've been thinking about picking up a double bass and taking lessons, but that money went to speakers instead. Maybe later this year... Charlie Haden is my fav bassist!

Hehe- yes a very good bassist!

Sry I should say that I am still researching which speakers will work best with my receiver! I am looking to ML for my center and front speakers- I just hope I can get them soon! Pics will come after everything is setup (I hope by summer time) right now its all at the bottom of my closet waiting :mad:
Nik

Hehe- yes a very good bassist!

Sry I should say that I am still researching which speakers will work best with my receiver! I am looking to ML for my center and front speakers- I just hope I can get them soon!

Nik, sorry to chime in again, but there's something deeply wrong in your algorithm :)

One starts by getting the best loudspeakers he can afford, THEN researches the best affordable amplification for them... in the 80's we used to say that if you've got a budget of X, put aside X/2 for the loudspeakers and divide the remaining dough into small pieces called amplifier, CD player, TT etc. Maybe I'm an oldie, mybe it's not X/2 but X/3 nowadays, but I'm a strong believer about choosing the loudspeakers first. It's like cars - first choose the engine which will transmit the HP to the wheels, then the rest...

Nik, welcome !!While I tend to agree with Lugano on speakers first, nothing says we can't help you work things out 'bassackwards' !

FWIW, I too have a Pioneer Elite that is used for 5.1 duties (just center, surrounds and lfe to sub), so while it does an A-OK job for movies it should also 'get you started' with respect to music enjoyment. Just be carefull when you do make your Logan selection for I don't think the Pioneer likes low impedence loads thrown at it.

The flip side to all this is that there is a "communicable disease" on this forum know as "Joeyitis" and once this infects you , it leads to a delightfull upgrade path !!

Good Luck !!

Last edited:
The flip side to all this is that there is a "communicable disease" on this forum know as "Joeyitis" and once this infects you , it lead to a delightfull upgrade path !!

Something we haven't got and they do, at head-fi.org, is a personal meter of $$$ spent since joining the forum... I bet that our own Joeyitis(TM) beats their lousy upgraditis :D

Well had I known that......... its only a start since I am just getting done with school. Who is to say that this is where I will stop :D I love the Monoliths and Summits but for theater duty I will look at Cinema or theater for the center and Vista or Vantage for L/R front.

I used inwalls for the rear since our living room is combined with our dining room (every large room 30ft x 17ft). I used Jamo inwalls- great sounding and work very well for my taste but not as important as front and center ML.

Welcome Nik,

Im waiting on my new ML's as well.

Off topic. I got to meet Charlie Haden during one of his tours with Kenny Barron :D Perhaps my favorite recording of his is a live concert with Geri Allen and Paul Motian, but god knows there are so many out there with Haden.

I should say that Mingus is not just my favorite bassist, he is my favorite jazz musician.

Something we haven't got and they do, at head-fi.org, is a personal meter of $$$ spent since joining the forum... I bet that our own Joeyitis(TM) beats their lousy upgraditis :D

I love this community!!

Anyway, :welcome: Nik!! We'll be happy to help you out anyway we can... even backwards!:eek: ;)

Off topic. I got to meet Charlie Haden during one of his tours with Kenny Barron Perhaps my favorite recording of his is a live concert with Geri Allen and Paul Motian, but god knows there are so many out there with Haden.

Oh drool drool drool... Where's the towel for my keyboard? My personal fav is Law Years from an Ornette Coleman disc.

Hi Nik,

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!

Just a suggestion, maybe you should consider buying used ML's, either off this site or www.audiogon.com. This would give you more money to spend eleswhere in your system. You will need a good size logan for that room.

I bought my Oddessey's used in mint condition and just love them. Goodluck in your quest.

Audio Improvements...

Nik,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!

I have a Pioneer Elite Receiver as well, used as a processor and amping surrounds only. I would suggest looking as amplifier(s) first to adequately power your future ML speakers. SS ~ Anthem, Pass Labs, Rotel, Sunfire or Tubed ~ ARC, BAT, Cary, Hovland, CAT.

:) IMHO, your Pioneer can serve adequately enough as a processor until you improve that later on...

I recommend that you try not to do what I did, which was bought beautiful ML speakers and was unable to make them properly sing with the Pioneer Elite receiver, for about a year, until I purchased the Anthem Statement P5.

It is good to have you here! :D

I bought my Oddessey's used in mint condition and just love them. Goodluck in your quest.

Nik,

There was a pair of Oddessy speakers down in San Antonio not to long back. I am not sure if they are still available or what kind of money you want to spend but I think they were like $3000 or $3300...I know Lubbock is a pretty long drive from there, but it might be worth the trip!

Welcome to the club! I am in Austin, TX. We have a pretty dang good Texas contingent here actually! I think about 5 of us in Austin...

Nik, sorry to chime in again, but there's something deeply wrong in your algorithm :)

One starts by getting the best loudspeakers he can afford, THEN researches the best affordable amplification for them... in the 80's we used to say that if you've got a budget of X, put aside X/2 for the loudspeakers and divide the remaining dough into small pieces called amplifier, CD player, TT etc. Maybe I'm an oldie, mybe it's not X/2 but X/3 nowadays, but I'm a strong believer about choosing the loudspeakers first. It's like cars - first choose the engine which will transmit the HP to the wheels, then the rest...

I agree here, 50 or even 60% of the budget on speakers, but that's hard to do as the better speakers you get will show all the problems with the source components... :D

However, I've always analogized speakers with tires in the automotive sense. They are the only components through which everything passes... EVERYTHING depends on them. A 5,000 bhp Top Fuel car with all-season radials? Useless! A Formula One car on space-saver spares? Puh-LEASE!

Anyway, I'm not here to pick nits. It's just my favorite analogy! :D

I agree here, 50 or even 60% of the budget on speakers, but that's hard to do as the better speakers you get will show all the problems with the source components... :D

However, I've always analogized speakers with tires in the automotive sense. They are the only components through which everything passes... EVERYTHING depends on them. A 5,000 bhp Top Fuel car with all-season radials? Useless! A Formula One car on space-saver spares? Puh-LEASE!

Anyway, I'm not here to pick nits. It's just my favorite analogy! :D

Yeah, off topic, but it always amazed me when I see people (first on the 300ZX forum, more recently on Corvette forum) that put cheap tires on a high performance car! That just cancels out all the engineering that went into the car!

Back on topic, keep in mind that the higher up the stack you go, the more amp you will need. Some great audiogon deals on older generation Logans, but they will need more amp to drive them properly.

I agree... 50% or less should be the speaker budget.

... I love the Monoliths and Summits but for theater duty I will look at Cinema or theater for the center and Vista or Vantage for L/R front.

Ah, a man with aspirations, I like that :cool:

Welcome aboard Nik.

Last edited:
Thank all for the wonderful welcomes :) I agree that the budget sound be focused on speakers, thus why I have no budget (at least till the girlfriend says otherwise- but she is into this as much as I am). Heck, everyone tells me I have a great girlfriend since she DIDNT want in-wall front speakers! I heard nothing but great things about the Elite receiver so I went top of their product line and bought mine. I have already got Monster M2.2s cables for my center channel and unless someone says otherwise Moster 2.4s biwire. I have monster power to run components and will be getting a second to run the speakers. I also have 2 subs to fill the room with great bass. Trust me more is still to come. I have been liking the Pass Labs 250 and 350 so who knows!!!

Back