New flat-screen!...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Classified Forum Moderator
Reaction score
OK, After functioning as the unofficial "AV system joke" for the last few months with my trifling little 27" Sylvania TV, I finally broke down today and went out abd bought a proper TV befitting of the rest of my system. I picked up a Toshiba 42LX177 42" LCD TV (1080p, 120Hz).

Its a little too big for the TV shelf in my built-in cabinet (the hole is 30" high x 35.75" wide, and the TV is 27.5" high x 40.25" wide), so I'm going to have to do some creative carpentry for the mounting, but I think I've got it figured out, and a quick trip to Lowes and a few hours in the woodshop tomorrow should remedy the situation. As soon as I get it properly installed, I'll post revised pics of my whole system, but until then, here is a stock photo of this new TV...

--Richard

Attachments

• 38926396_640.jpg
    38926396_640.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 149
Richard, LCD's have come a long way. You'll enjoy it more then you thought! Great choice! :rocker:

thats interesting-I thought sony and samsung were the only 120 hz flat panels out there right now?

Dominick

Richard, as George said , nice choice ! A buddy of mine has the same unit and it produces a great picture.

Dominick22,

That is part of the reason I chose the Toshiba. Not only does it have as good (or better) picture than comparab le Sony or Samsung TVs, it retails for about $100 less (or in my case, almost $500, because I got a floor model).

Check the factory website for specs:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/product.asp?model=42lx177

So the cost/performance ratio was VERY important in my decision-making process. I'm not as plush as many of the folks on this list, and a $1500-$2000 purchase is a pretty big deal in our household. Plus, truth be told, even if I was wading in cash, I'd still search for months for the best deal, because I have a genetic condition that causes me physical pain if I pay retail... ;)

Also, the Toshiba "Cinema Series" LCD-TVs have a VERY narrow frame bezel, which makes them look very sleek. This TV looks like it was made to match my Sequels. Also, the bezel is a sort of brushed black metal, rather than the gloss black finish that a LOT of TV manufacturers are using these days (Samsung, Pioneer, etc), which is just IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean, and shows fingerprints if your hand gets anywhere within about 2 feet of the TV.

So far, I'm VERY happy with my purchase, and my sweetie really digs it too, which makes justifying the purchase a LOT easier... :D

--Richard

Last edited:
Congratulations!

You weren't as big a joke as I was when I had my parents' wedding present as a television. It was a c.1973 18" JVC. It has never missed a beat and is still in service at our holiday house today! I was sure the 200 km trip up to Shoal Bay was going to destroy it for good but absolutely not!

We don't watch much TV at so it's worth spending $80,000 on audio equipment and not much on a television.

Very nice TV... Just in time for the NFL playoffs !!!

Latest posts

Back