New Cary SLP 98P / Ascents

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadaBing11

Reaction score
Hi all,

A while back I posted regarding making some changes to my system. Well recently I added a Cary SLP98P preamp. Other components are Denon 3910 with Alex Peychev mods, Bryston 4Bsst amp, and ML Ascents.

The Cary has really changed the sound of my system much more than I expected. I am getting the warmth, midrange and bottom end from the tubes, yet it is still incredibly revealing and detailed. Soundstage is bigger, voices a little less forward.

I hesitate to use the word "better" to describe the sound since that is so subject to opinion. However, I explained what I was wanting to accomplish and you all had great advice on taking me in the right direction for me.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement. Never thought I would end up a "Tube guy." But this is really fun stuff. I'm already researching tube upgrades. Not so much that I think it needs them, I just can't help but wonder what other sonic acheivements can be made with this stuff.

Thanks once again,

Bing

Hey Bing,

Glad the Cary SLP 98-P is working out for you. I still like mine with the Ayre V-5xe ss amp and Spires.

That preamp sounds Really good with some NOS tubes... Yikes! :)

Ray

Hey Bing,

Glad the Cary SLP 98-P is working out for you. I still like mine with the Ayre V-5xe ss amp and Spires.

That preamp sounds Really good with some NOS tubes... Yikes! :)

Ray

Satch -- last I heard or remembered - you had moved from rca's to ratheon??? 6sn7s? Have you moved from there? I too am a member of the cary slp98p club as you know and am always interested!! What else have you plugged into your sweet little preamp??? :)

Hey Tim,

Yeah, one of the 6SN7 RCA's went south on me so I replaced them with a full set (4) of Zaytron branded 6SN7/5692's made by CBS, brown base 1960's platinum grade. Wow! Cool boxes too. :) I'm still using the Mullard British Military 12AX7's (2) Platinum grade and (2) Mullard British Military spec 12AU7's Platinum Grade. Kevin at Upscale Audio hooked me up.

Ray

Latest posts

Back