New Bottom Feeder Member

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatlinburger

Reaction score
Been lurking for a long time and have had my new, partially Martin Logan home theater system for close to a year now. I'm in love with my Martin Logans and they're only the lowly Clarity model. Here's what's in the system now ...

Fronts Martin Logan Clarity
Center Martin Logan Fresco
Rears Mirage OmniSat
Sub Velodyne
PreAmp NAD T163
Power NAD T973
DVD Denon DVD-2930ci
Display Phillips 50" Plasma, Ambilight

We were told by so many salesmen that the Martin's were not really good for theater. I find them incredible and most other systems now sound very muddy to me. I'd like to update over the next few years to BlueRay Disc, new or firmware updated PreAmp, 7.1, and to a 120" 1080p projector system so I'll be having a few questions to ask. Thanks for the help a year ago that sent us off into the great world of Martin Logan sound!

Five of my 5.1 speakers in my HT are ML's--Sequels, Logos Center, Scenarios in the rear (Velodyne sub), and I think it sounds fantatic. You're right--other speakers sound muddy, flat and dull compared to ML for HT. The trick to getting ML's to sound great for HT is three-fold:

1) placement of the speakers and room treatment is CRUCIAL,
2) you need clean, high-current amps, and
3) you need a fast, punchy subwoofer.

Cover those three issues, and your ML-based HT will just blow the socks off just about anything else.

Most salesmen (the one's at "chain stores" anyway) don't know crap about MLs. The "chain" stores (like Tweeter and Best-Buy-attached Magnolias) almost NEVER have their ML's set up properly and driven with with adequate amps, so they often don't sound very good.

I've heard several other ML-based NT setups in people's homes, and believe me, properly set up, Martin Logans make for delightful HT.

Trust your ears...

--Richard

Last edited:
Been lurking for a long time and have had my new, partially Martin Logan home theater system for close to a year now. I'm in love with my Martin Logans and they're only the lowly Clarity model.

Welcome aboard! There's no such thing as a lowly ML!

Coming in with that state of mind will only get you into trouble :D. I came in with a pair of ML Sources and a Denon 2807 a few months back. Now I have vistas/motif/dynamo/denon 3808/Sunfire Cinema Grand amp/denon 2930CI so on and so forth. Rock your system and enjoy the sound you currently have.

Stepehen.. welcome to the club!
There is absolutely nothing lowly about the Clarity's. I thought the same thing but learned (and was told:eek:) that it's about the journey. As I go out to look for an listen to other ML's, I find myself listening to, and enjoying my Clarity's more and more. We're all on the upgrade path and there is no final destination so enjoy the journey!

These guys are right about the chain store clerks!! Is there a store in your area that sells high-end gear? They will be a good source of information for you, as well as this owners group. The people in this group are an incredible source of knowledge. Not to mention as you upgrade your HT system those clarities will make exceptional rear channels! Enjoy what you have got and the endless possabilities that you have as you move forward, I sure do.
Eric

Happy with my Clarity's

Stepehen.. welcome to the club!
There is absolutely nothing lowly about the Clarity's. I thought the same thing but learned (and was told:eek:) that it's about the journey. As I go out to look for an listen to other ML's, I find myself listening to, and enjoying my Clarity's more and more. We're all on the upgrade path and there is no final destination so enjoy the journey!

I'm new to the forum myself and just wanted to comment that I love my Clarity's since the first day I bought them....I have them matched with a Cinemai and just bought a Abyss sub.....really enjoying my music now

Welcome...

Stereo salesmen don't know SH!T!! Logans are GREAT for HT!!

Damn right! My HT is 100% ML's and I LOVE IT. That said, the sweet spot is a little on the narrow side, but DAMN is it SWEET! Not to mention, if you sit outside that spot, the sound is STILL better than 99% of what other speakers can give you in their sweetest spot!

I agree with the rest here, ML's are awesome for HT use. I have been using ML's for HT for over 4 years now and have no plans on changing to any other brand. Glad to have you with us.:) Looking forward to seeing some pix of your setup.

Seth

Back