New Anthem processors and receivers debut!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BDH55. All true. Just so you know I to have higher speed internet around 400 but that makes no difference. 4K streaming is like mid 20’s so the only way more speed helps is if there are multiple devices connected at the same time. If you only go to your projector you have plenty. It’s your provider that needs to send higher quality content which I think like Dish does etc. the big gain in video is in the upsampling in my case my panel. You and I will never see in our life time normal channel TV in 4K period. Movies, Netflix shows, Disney+ yes but that is streaming.
Where 8k upscaling comes in is in larger panels. Im not familiar with projectors if they upscale but if they do then the same applies to them. On my 77” I can see compared to my sons 65” OLED I’m loosing some detail. Why because the same amount of pixels are spread over a wider area. So when I go to the newer 8k it will make a difference probably at the 65” size may be hardly noticeable.
I also agree sound is where I have put most of my effort as it’s more complicated with many components. On the video side I have a OLED, great network cable connected to a special SoTM switch and upgraded HDMI for ARC that is it compared to 3-surround Amps, 3 channel amp, 8 ceiling speakers, 13’s, Focus and Descenti’s plus all the upgraded cables. Much more involved so a great replacement for my AVM 60 will be most helpful once connected.

I get all that but what exactly does it do got if for twice the price then the 70 ?

Better sound quality, ostensibly. I'm sorry that's subjective, but if Anthem published the list of every part that was "upgraded" or tolerance of "hand matched" parts, and you had access to the datasheets for the parts, would it help? Probably not.

"The main difference will be the upgraded audio components. From what the Training Manager said, (who has both 70 and 90 in his home), says the 90 “blows the 70 out of the water”. The audio in both stereo and surround has a greater presence, and more enveloping. The 70 is no slouch, as it should be an audio improvement over the 60. The only other difference between the 70 and 90 is a free HDMI upgrade board for the 90 when our HDMI 2.1 boards become available. But it sounds like the 90 is an overwhelming audio improvement."

Subjective claims like that are about all you're going to get. Dealer opinions are usually based on ideas planted when the factory reps give their training. Very few other people are going to have both preamps at the same time or the motivation to swap them fast enough to make an honest A/B assessment. For now we take their word for it. You won't know if it's worth the doubling of price until you hear the difference with your own ears.

My point was this is typical of audiophile marketing, and most companies including Anthem play the good/better/best SQ game. When I bought my AVM-50v the big question was whether the D2v was worth the extra cost for the slightly better parts, when functionality and DSP power were identical. Nobody could honestly tell me the difference. Most people in the owners forum just went with the D2v because it was marketed as the "Statement" preamp and had a thicker faceplate, yet not one person could fault the 50v so after studying this chart that's what I bought!

https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/avm50_ComparisonChart.pdf
Note: like you, I have two separate systems so I already had a reference quality stereo preamp. If someone wanted one preamp "to rule them all" I could totally understand going with the D2v (or AVM-90 in today's terms) assuming it was within budget.

Last edited:

Most of my system enhancements have all been going into the audio side of my system. The main reason I'm looking at even upgrading my AVM60 is for the additional sub control on the new models. Hopefully they do provide some additional info on their differences, as the new HDMI card for the 90 likely won't sway me...

So, about that AVM 60 (when you decide to get rid of it...) ;)
I still haven't really "plumbed the depths" of my newish-to-me AVM50v, but thought I might get that in!

And I'm totally in agreement with y'all on the content... when you take that in conjunction with my 5x-year old eyes, going 4K (let alone 8K) does not really make that much sense... AND I'm still enjoying FHD on my system.

About the sound quality of the 70 vs. the 90, etc.:

Not sure about you guys, but a while back my first Pre/Pro was the AVM 2.

On my first separates system, with a Bryston 9B ST and SL-3s, the stereo rendering was, to me, spectacular. Clean/smooth/<fit adjectives of choice here> - really nice.

I would assume that Anthem has striven to maintain that level of stereo excellence in their Processor offerings, and as technology evolves, I would be incredibly surprised (and more than a little depressed) if ANY of their contemporary offerings took a step backwards relative to that great "entry level" processor from 2000/2001.

Great thread, BTW!

Russ

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Does anyone have any questions about the new anthem MRXs AVMs and ARC that you’d like me to ask Anthem? Tomorrow I have a 2hour training with anthem about the new receivers processors and the latest update to arc. It starts at 11 so if you think of anything just let me know in the morning. Again sorry to send this so late but I just want to make sure that I take this opportunity to answer questions first hand with Anthem and the main engineers. I know I am going to ask specifically about using arc with the panels. In the past I have been told that you have to limit the frequency that you want arc to work on because of the dipole nature of the electrostatic panel. I’m also going to dive into the multiple sub EQ, Because I know it sounds like the abilities have expanded a lot with the latest version and the latest processors.

Shawn, aside from your great questions...
  • What's the timeframe for official (stable) release of the latest ARC Genesis?
  • When will Anthem publish the full Specs for the new units?
  • Does the new ML Masterpiece Series 0.1.9434 firmware do anything else besides provide compatibility with the new ARC Genesis and "Pro" mic?
  • For those of us with ML BalancedForce Subs, do they recommend not using the downloaded custom filters; instead letting the AVM or MRX (with ARC Genesis) handle everything?
  • Will ARC Genesis eventually be able to calculate speaker/sub distances?
  • Until then, what is "best practice" for optimizing phase/timing of all speakers (especially subs) with Mains?
  • What, exactly, is the additional sub integration capability of the MRX 1140 (vs. 740 and 540)?
  • Will the HDMI 2.1 upgrades be DIY, or will the units need to be serviced by dealer. What will be the cost, if any?
Alan

• For those of us with ML BalancedForce Subs, do they recommend not using the downloaded custom filters; instead letting the AVM or MRX (with ARC Genesis) handle everything?
  • Until then, what is "best practice" for optimizing phase/timing of all speakers (especially subs) with Mains?
  • What, exactly, is the additional sub integration capability of the MRX 1140 (vs. 740 and 540)?

Alan,
I have a pair of ML 1500X and an older Anthem prepro. I run ARC Genesis (was PBK) on the subs first, individually. I don't see why your BalancedForce subs would be any different. Do whatever it takes to get each sub performing optimally. I then switch microphones and run ARC on the whole system.

But there is an extra step if you have multiple subs, which will likely change when Anthem finishes the software for independent sub channels in the new preamps. Before letting ARC do the automatic run, I open it in advanced mode. This gives access to QuickMeasure which allows you to measure the sub response in real time while adjusting their relative phase (one sub stays at zero while you play with phase or polarity of the other one only) to get a more even bass response. Once you have achieved this ideal monolithic sub entity the regular ARC process applies.

There is a procedure in the user manual of all Anthem preamps that explains how to set the final sub channel phase/polarity relative to the main speakers. Absent of any other measurement equipment this is done by ear with a white noise signal (e.g. FM tuner). I have never bothered to do this but I probably should. I don't think automation of this is fully implemented in the current Anthem firmware yet.

When the software is ready, the MRX 1140 and AVM 70 will support two discrete sub channels (AVM 90 gets 4 sub channels) and there will hopefully be no need to perform any of these manual steps.

Stefan

So, about that AVM 60 (when you decide to get rid of it...) ;)
I still haven't really "plumbed the depths" of my newish-to-me AVM50v, but thought I might get that in!

I would assume that Anthem has striven to maintain that level of stereo excellence in their Processor offerings, and as technology evolves, I would be incredibly surprised (and more than a little depressed) if ANY of their contemporary offerings took a step backwards relative to that great "entry level" processor from 2000/2001.

Russ,
I'm not so sure about that. The made in Canada AVM-50v (and Statement D2v of course) had incredibly well designed analog preamp stages. I have not heard the new ones but have been paying close attention to other folks in the Anthem owners groups that did upgrade. Word is that, Dolby Atmos aside, the AVM-60 is about equal to the 50v/D2v or in some cases slightly inferior in terms of straight sound quality. The AVM-70 is about the same as the 60 on standard material, but really takes off with Atmos and the other object based codecs.
Stefan

Shawn, can you share any insights from the Anthem training relevant to us ML owners?

Yes Shawn, please share! Lots of interest here. And I'd like to know if multiple subwoofer calibration is coming someday in ARC like Dirac has with their Dirac Live Bass Control. I asked Anthem, but no reply yet.

Anthem just released their latest (non-beta) version of ARC Genesis. Hopefully they got most of the reported issues resolved.

I have an MRX 740 on order. While I don't expect it's pre-outs to outperform my C-J CT5, I'm kinda hoping it's ability to apply ARC Genesis to my entire setup (including dual ML subs), might take my two-channel listening to a new level. If not, I'll use the Anthem only for home theater playback, and stick with the tubed CT5 for pure stereo. Time will tell!

Got a AVM 90 on order replacing a 60. Super excited to get and give it a try. In the process of updating my media rack plus all new power from my panel and duplexes.

Got a AVM 90 on order...

Unfortunately, Anthem now says the AVM 90's won't be shipping until "Fall 2021." I'm guessing that might reflect a chip supply issue due to the recent AKM factory fire. The MRX series use an older AKM chip, which I presume Anthem previously stockpiled.

Thanks for the bad news guess I just keep using the 60. Hopefully by then all the software bugs will be gone too.

Just confirmed but sleepysurf is unfortunately correct. Hopefully my son’s 1140 will ship soon.

Bumping this thread for continued discussion of the new Anthem gear, and how we're integrating with ML speakers (2 channel and/or Home Theater) using Anthem Room Correction Genesis.

Also, wondering how we can check if we have the original AKM AK4458VN DAC chips, or something else (due to AKM chip shortages)?

Just confirmed but sleepysurf is unfortunately correct. Hopefully my son’s 1140 will ship soon.
Shawn told me that my 1140 is on its way to him/me as of this morning. I’m pumped!

FYI, the latest Anthem Room Correction Genesis beta is now available... ARC: Beta Downloads

I doubt if it offers anything new for compatible ML speakers, except perhaps minor bug fixes.

However, paired with the new firmware download for their newest Anthem MRX and AVM series, it adds automated subwoofer distance, phase, and timing capability.

Looking forward to test driving my MRX 740 again as a preamp to see how well it now integrates my BF210's with my Expressions.

Does the ARC run directly with the preamp, like Audyssey does? Just wondering because I used ARC for my new BF 210 sub and had to use a laptop. The program isn't compatible with my laptop.

Thinking about getting one of their preamps in the future.

Does the ARC run directly with the preamp, like Audyssey does? Just wondering because I used ARC for my new BF 210 sub and had to use a laptop. The program isn't compatible with my laptop.

Thinking about getting one of their preamps in the future.

As with PBK enabled ML's, you still need to run ARC Genesis on a computer with the Anthem MRX and AVM series. Not sure about their STR separates.

WRT your incompatible laptop, perhaps the new Beta fixed that.

As with PBK enabled ML's, you still need to run ARC Genesis on a computer with the Anthem MRX and AVM series. Not sure about their STR separates.

WRT your incompatible laptop, perhaps the new Beta fixed that.
I run ARC on a (borrowed) MacBook for my STR and MRX1140.

Back