Mounting ML Theater on wall. Anyone do this?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this, particularly if anyone who has done the work themselves. I am re-configuring my home theater/listening room, and my new setup will work best with the Theater mounted high on the front wall above the screen I am getting.

The Theater is one heavy sucker--57 lbs.! I have my own ideas about mounting it, but I want to hear from someone with experience. BTW, if you have mounted the new Stage or a Cinema, I'd welcome suggestions from you as well. Plan to get this done this coming weekend.

Anthony

Last edited:
I'd like to hear from anyone who has done this, particularly if anyone who has done the work themselves. I am re-configuring my home theater/listening room, and my new setup will work best with the Theater mounted high on the front wall above the screen I am getting.

The Theater is one heavy sucker--57 lbs.! I have my own ideas about mounting it, but I want to here from someone with experience. BTW, if you have mounted the new Stage or a Cinema, I'd welcome suggestions from you as well. Plan to get this done this coming weekend.

Anthony

Anthony, take a look at my system and see how I did it. It is NOT on the wall but it is on the special box I built. I did the box for several reasons, the main one was to mount the Theater to, but it also helps to get the TV up a little higher and it is hollow so it is a good place to hide my UPS, RGPC Pole Pig and a power strip...

It still sounds GREAT too! If I had mounted it above the TV on the wall I never would have been able to reach it and a lot of the sound would get trapped between the TV and the wall...if you have a plasma/LCD wall mounting below would be a good idea (if that too is mounted on the wall anyway).

Best of luck!

Anthony, take a look at my system and see how I did it. It is NOT on the wall but it is on the special box I built. I did the box for several reasons, the main one was to mount the Theater to, but it also helps to get the TV up a little higher and it is hollow so it is a good place to hide my UPS, RGPC Pole Pig and a power strip...

It still sounds GREAT too! If I had mounted it above the TV on the wall I never would have been able to reach it and a lot of the sound would get trapped between the TV and the wall...if you have a plasma/LCD wall mounting below would be a good idea (if that too is mounted on the wall anyway).

Best of luck!

Excellent way to set that up! The key there is that you don't want to possibly give up any sound quality by having the sound blocked by a big box. I've mounted many Cinema, Theater, and Stage speakers to the wall above and below flat panel TV's and below front projection screens. The stand that ML designed is perfect for wall mounting. Hook us up with some before and after pics!

I've mounted my Theater i on the wall and if I had to do it over again I would mount from the ceiling, or in your case below the screen which was not an option fro me since I have a rear projection Tv, so I could bring it out a couple of feet away from the wall. The sound to me is a bit hollow or echoy being against the wall, I put an acoustical panel behind the Tv and its helped, But someday I hope to go to a projector and will move the Theater i to my Salamander stand below and get the stat panel at least 3 feet away from the wall.

If you go with a wall mount, you will need 2 people to mount minimum, if I remember correctly I used 3, two of us put it in place while one stood on a ladder and helped us guide it in place and tighten it. Measure, Measure, Measure, The mounting stand has numerous holes so you should have no problem being able to center it and hit the studs you need to hit. I taped the stand to the wall after I measured and put the Tv in place to make sure it looked right, wasn't too high or too low and was centered. One other thing to consider is when bringing the wires through the walls, learn from my mistake, I brought both the power cord and speaker connections in from behind the stat panel, power connection is on one woofer box and speaker conection is on the other woofer box, I would bring them in from the wall behind each woofer box, so you don't see them behind the stat panel.

One other thing to consider is cleaning, very difficult to vacuum and dust the Theater i mounted high against the wall behind my rear projection Tv, Should be easier for you with a projector though. I 've actually only gotten a good vacuumming one time on the rear side of the panel since installing, since I had to take it down to get to the backside of the panel completely, major pain in the arse.

Good Luck

Good luck

If going on the wall, the biggest challenge is getting the heavy speaker well anchored. As noted, the factory mounts have many holes, but getting those holes aligned to studs AND the entire speaker aligned between the mains (or over / under the TV) is a challenge.

One way of dealing with that is to make a ‘mounting board’ of MDF with nice routed edges and mount this board to the wall and then the Theater mounting plate to that board. This way you have incredible adjustment ability, and a slightly stronger wall mount, as the mounting board will help tie together multiple studs.

This also makes the entire process a bit easier to execute, as you can pre-drill the holes for the speaker support on this mounting board before it goes on the wall. That way everything is nice and lined up.

The approach I used for my Logos when I built my HT, was to fill in the gaps between the vertical studs with 2x6s before the drywall went up, which gave me a lot of latitude for putting in huge bolts anywhere (within the general spot for the center) and be sure I’d hit wood.

Good luck and let us know how it goes and post some pics.

Currently mine is mounted with some anchors that I bought a depot. The anchors are rated at 80lbs a piece so I figured with on one each side of the bracket, I should be pretty safe. You can't see the anchors but my system page does show it on the wall. I do have to say that for the first week of mounting it like this, I was worried that I would come home from work and see it broken on the floor.

Currently I am fininshing my basement and took the opportunity when building the walls to do the same thing as JonFo and fill in the gaps behind the drywall with 2x6's so I would have a more secure anchor point.

I don't know that I would recommend the anchors that I bought at depot. They really aren't ideal unless you are in a pinch. I knew eventually I would be moving my gear to the basement so I didn't want to build an elaborate mount in my living room.

And yes having some help when you do hang it will be a good idea. I did mine one day when no one was home which was only good because no one had to hear me swearing the whole time! I should have waited for help though.

Good Luck!

If going on the wall, the biggest challenge is getting the heavy speaker well anchored. As noted, the factory mounts have many holes, but getting those holes aligned to studs AND the entire speaker aligned between the mains (or over / under the TV) is a challenge.

One way of dealing with that is to make a ‘mounting board’ of MDF with nice routed edges and mount this board to the wall and then the Theater mounting plate to that board. This way you have incredible adjustment ability, and a slightly stronger wall mount, as the mounting board will help tie together multiple studs.

This also makes the entire process a bit easier to execute, as you can pre-drill the holes for the speaker support on this mounting board before it goes on the wall. That way everything is nice and lined up.

The approach I used for my Logos when I built my HT, was to fill in the gaps between the vertical studs with 2x6s before the drywall went up, which gave me a lot of latitude for putting in huge bolts anywhere (within the general spot for the center) and be sure I’d hit wood.

Good luck and let us know how it goes and post some pics.

Jon,

This is the approach I have been thinking of. I really like all of the suggestions made so far. Please explain one thing though: "MDF?" What does that stand for?

Anthony

Jon,

This is the approach I have been thinking of. I really like all of the suggestions made so far. Please explain one thing though: "MDF?" What does that stand for?

Anthony

Medium Density Fiberboard, it is what they make most speaker boxes out of.

Best of luck!

James,

I see you have a Salamander rack also. Currently, I have the Theater sitting on top of mine, right below the plasma on the wall. I will be mounting a projector screen on the wall, and the positioning of the projector image won't allow me to keep the Theater in its current spot. I'll have to mount it above the screen on the wall. I hate having to do this, but at least it won't compromise my 2ch listening. Thanks for the suggestions.

Anthony

Excellent way to set that up! The key there is that you don't want to possibly give up any sound quality by having the sound blocked by a big box. I've mounted many Cinema, Theater, and Stage speakers to the wall above and below flat panel TV's and below front projection screens. The stand that ML designed is perfect for wall mounting. Hook us up with some before and after pics!

FatJ,

I will try to remember to take pics during the process. I have a couple of before pics already, and will definitely do some after pics as well. Good to hear that someone has done this more than once with success. Thanks for sharing.

Anthony

I've mounted my Theater i on the wall and if I had to do it over again I would mount from the ceiling, or in your case below the screen which was not an option fro me since I have a rear projection Tv, so I could bring it out a couple of feet away from the wall. The sound to me is a bit hollow or echoy being against the wall, I put an acoustical panel behind the Tv and its helped, But someday I hope to go to a projector and will move the Theater i to my Salamander stand below and get the stat panel at least 3 feet away from the wall.

If you go with a wall mount, you will need 2 people to mount minimum, if I remember correctly I used 3, two of us put it in place while one stood on a ladder and helped us guide it in place and tighten it. Measure, Measure, Measure, The mounting stand has numerous holes so you should have no problem being able to center it and hit the studs you need to hit. I taped the stand to the wall after I measured and put the Tv in place to make sure it looked right, wasn't too high or too low and was centered.

Good luck

theWB,

Thanks for the great suggestions. As I noted above, mounting below the screen is probably not an option, and even if I could pull it off, I'm afraid that the Salamander rack might interfere with the sound moreso than mounting it above the screen. I'm glad you told me about getting some help with it. I had been planning to do this by myself. I guess I can do most of the prep work on my own, but putting it into position is another thing!

Anthony

Currently mine is mounted with some anchors that I bought a depot. The anchors are rated at 80lbs a piece so I figured with on one each side of the bracket, I should be pretty safe. You can't see the anchors but my system page does show it on the wall. I do have to say that for the first week of mounting it like this, I was worried that I would come home from work and see it broken on the floor.

Currently I am fininshing my basement and took the opportunity when building the walls to do the same thing as JonFo and fill in the gaps behind the drywall with 2x6's so I would have a more secure anchor point.

I don't know that I would recommend the anchors that I bought at depot. They really aren't ideal unless you are in a pinch. I knew eventually I would be moving my gear to the basement so I didn't want to build an elaborate mount in my living room.

And yes having some help when you do hang it will be a good idea. I did mine one day when no one was home which was only good because no one had to hear me swearing the whole time! I should have waited for help though.

Good Luck!

J,

You have yours positioned on the wall just as I envision doing mine. If you do not recommend the anchors you are currently using, what do you recommend instead? Those are just the kind of anchors I was thinking of getting.

Anthony

Wall-Mounted ~ Theater i

Anthony,

My son and I mounted my Theater i to a custom fabricated, angled wall mount, which we made out of 2"x10" pine. :)

:D Please see my system #57 for more information on this process. The wall-mounted Theater i works wonderfully in my system.

:music: Good luck!

J,

You have yours positioned on the wall just as I envision doing mine. If you do not recommend the anchors you are currently using, what do you recommend instead? Those are just the kind of anchors I was thinking of getting.

Anthony

I only caution against these anchors because it scares me to have it hanging there in just a plaster wall, but honestly it has been there for about two years now so it must be ok right? The exact anchors I used were gold in color and had 3 angled nails at the wall side. The hanger itself just had a hooked end on it which I was able to get the mounting bracket of the Theater to slip in to. Having the 3 nails fixed at a downward angle keeps them from pulling from the wall as they would have to tear a sizeable hole to come out. I figured using two of these anchors at 80lbs capacity per, would give me more than enough support. I also don't have any kids or anything like that banging into the walls and potentially shaking it loose.

More than anything else I work in an industry that is all about covering your rear end so if I didn't caution you and for some reason yours fell you would probably be driving to Michigan to find me and I just don't fee like dealing with that.

All that being said, my set up has worked great. I hope yours does too however you hang it.:cheers:

Anthony,

My son and I mounted my Theater i to a custom fabricated, angled wall mount, which we made out of 2"x10" pine. :)

:D Please see my system #57 for more information on this process. The wall-mounted Theater i works wonderfully in my system.

:music: Good luck!

Robin,

I like what you've done there. If I had more patience, I would probably build a custom mount that would have the Theater extend from the wall a couple of feet. I'll stick to something more basic, though. Giving some thought to putting the Theater on the top shelf inside my Salamander rack. Not sure I would get good quality that way, though.

More than anything else I work in an industry that is all about covering your rear end so if I didn't caution you and for some reason yours fell you would probably be driving to Michigan to find me and I just don't fee like dealing with that.

All that being said, my set up has worked great. I hope yours does too however you hang it.:cheers:

J,

Not to worry, I won't track you down for my mistakes/mishaps! Though I could, since I know where Wyandotte is (my mother lives in Detroit)!

Anthony

Latest posts

Back