ML Passage in-ceiling as rear surround?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
What are your thoughts about using ML Passages as rear IN-CEILING surrounds? I know they are designed for IN-WALL use, but I don't have a rear or side wall available. I'm currently using some old Boston Acoustics Dx Pro's, which are "diffuse field surrounds" with woofers firing in two directions. They use a 7.5" x 15" rectangular cutout, so the Passages would fit without having to patch the cutout. The Boston Acoustics sound decent, but I think the Passages would match my Summits and Motif tonality better. However, the woofers would both be downward firing (from the ceiling) with only the tweeter angle adjustable.

Attachments

• CeilingSurr.jpg
    CeilingSurr.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I heard some speakers w high ceiling, about like yours..in a church. Sounded remarkably good. I've also mounted small front firing RB-25's on ceiling corners, really moved the music well. I don't know if it's the exact effect you want for DVD's, but I bet you'd love it for music.

My main concern is that in-wall speakers are likely designed to utilize the wall cavity as a sort of enclosure. If I mount the Passages in a (cathedral) ceiling, there is no enclosed space behind them, just an insulation filled attic. I'm concerned the frequency response and SPL's might prove inadequate.

Unfortunately, I found out my ceiling rafters are 24" on-center, and the Passages require a 23" opening. This means I can't use the pre-existing cutout. I could mount the passages cross-wise (parallel to the rafters) BEHIND my old Boston Acoustics, but I don't think that'll look good. Unfortunately, I'll hafta punt on this until we do some major renovations in a year or two. :mad:

On a happier note, I scored a good deal on 4 meter Audience AU24E speaker cables, and am looking forward to that upgrade!

Have you looked at Bohlender Graebner? I've heard great things about them as far as matching the sound of ML. They are ribbon tweeter designs and may have some in-wall options that would fit your cutouts and rafters. I know they make ceiling speakers, but they're round, so you'll most likely need to look at in-wall. My ML dealer swears by them, though I've not heard them personally.

Latest posts

Back