Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLaudiophile

Reaction score
Currently purchased the Electromotion ESLs. Love the sound and clarity. I'm wondering if I'm missing out what the speakers are capable of doing. I purchased an Onkyo TX-NR818 approx 2 months prior to buying the speakers. I've recently read that these speakers could require as low as 1.6ohms to produce higher frequencies. The room is 12x17, so the volume is never up high, maybe around -60 - -50.

Here are the info on the AVR:
• 135 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms (FTC)
• 180 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (IEC)
• 230 Watts/Channel @ 6 ohms (JEITA)
• WRAT–Wide Range Amplifier Technology
(5 Hz to 100 kHz bandwidth)
• Linear Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
• H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High
Power Transformer
• 3 Stage Inverted Darlington Amplifier Design

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one did you buy?

The newer ones tend to be more sensitive than the older models. Also, if your's has an active woofer, then that helps your receiver.

I would still consider moving your front stereo channels out to an external amp. You'll get more headroom at a minimum for music listening :).

Which one did you buy?

The newer ones tend to be more sensitive than the older models. Also, if your's has an active woofer, then that helps your receiver.

I would still consider moving your front stereo channels out to an external amp. You'll get more headroom at a minimum for music listening :).

Oh, sorry, thought I had it in the post. Electromotion ESLs. It's my first time stepping up to the higher end audio. Basically, we have a Best Buy and a Futureshop to buy from. Anything else has to ordered from out of province! Honestly, I do not go in those places asking or seeking advise, I've learned the hard way on that!! They had no knowledge on the electrostats and the ML line is new to Futureshop apparently. I've been constantly researching. They ordered the pair for me and its fantastic. Now I want them to sound there best. Unfortunately, I just spent $900 on the Onkyo AVR. It sounds great but am I missing anything. I don't believe that AVR can throw enough out to give the speakers their true potential. Having said that, does the volume have any impact on the range of frequency. For example, if I play it at a low-mid level, can any AVR produce the full range of sound to the speakers/can the speakers produce it? And will there be a loss in range as the volume goes up?

If anyone recommends an amp, am I looking for a power amp, a pre-amp, or an integrated amp??

I guess when all you see over the years at your local electronics store are AVRs and HTIBs that's all I'm use to! Now I'm looking at getting serious with it and building a true Home Theater.

Thanks for any and all advice

I started with an Onkyo 609 AVR and love it when I got my ML source and music and movies never sounded soooo good

If you want to get serious then a pre/amp for HT does get the most out of your electrostats but can you add an amp to the onkyo?

It has 2 Analog jacks for an external amp. Im guessing i can use that for a pre amp. It just describes how to connect an amplifier to enable surround backs, front high or front wides. It's basically turning the AVR into a 9.2 channel from the current 7.2. How or can I use that for connecting the main fronts? What would be a good suggestion or starting point for a pre amp?

Hi NLaudiophile,
Looking at the back of the Onkyo TX-NR818, I see it has pre-out RCA jacks (preamp outputs) for all channels (L/F/C/Surr/SurrBack/Subs). You can connect those RCAs outputs to separated power amp(s) to drive those channels. So use the L/R RCAs from the preout section to connect to a power amp to power your main fronts. The Onkyo can be used as a preamp.
I would say you start with buying a quality stereo power amp from highly regarded companies first (or if budget allows, get two monoblocks) to drive your front L/R, the Electromotions. That's probably most important and will get the best out of you ML speakers. You dont need to get a monster power amp in the 200W and up range. Get a class A or highly biased class A amp somewhere between 50-100W that is stable into 4/2ohm and that should do it. With the size of your room, you would probably need only 25W of amp power to be loud. E.g. Pass Labs XA30.5 amp has only 30W of class A but I bet it would blow your 135W/channel Onkyo amp section out of the water. Go for quality.
Later on, when you're more comfortable and have budget to upgrade, you can always add a dedicated stereo preamp (with home theater bypass so you can still use the Onkyo for movie watching) and separated power amp(s) for other channels.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. Could you or someone explain how a 2 ch stereo power amp rated at approx 50wpc throw more power than the 135wpc that's delivered from the Onkyo. Also, when you plug a power amp into a receiver, does any power from the receiver transfer into the power amp, or just is it just the signal, and then the power amp delivers the sound. Basically, would it be 135 watts + the power amp watts or does the power amp work alone. Sorry for all the basic questions.

Thanks

...... Could you or someone explain how a 2 ch stereo power amp rated at approx 50wpc throw more power than the 135wpc .....

It'll not! In theory 135w amp will have ability to go louder by ~8db that 50w. But driving electrostic pannels would rather require quality over quantity(perfect if you have both). There is a reason why 30w class A amps are monstrous sizes. Your receiver is not capable to include it all in one small package. So many output transistors+adequate heatsinking+power supply and finally what's most important DESIGN. There are also other important amp characteristics beside wattage: max peek current, damping factor, slew rate etc

Last edited:
Hi NL,

It's not the quantity of watts versus the quality and the ability to be stable while driving the panel at low impedance.

Generally, a high "current" amp will "double down" in power as the speaker impedance "halves". For example, 60 watts into 8 ohms, 120 watts into 4 ohms, etc.

Your personal needs will generally depend on room size and desired volume. Having an additional reservoir of power will certainly help during "peak" volumes. It also puts less strain on the amp at moderate volumes.

All things being equal, having the reserve power will improve the overall performance of your system.

Hope that helps.

GG

Back