Listening Chairs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUR

Reaction score
I’m on the verge of refurnishing my 2ch audio room and I’m trying to decide what type of chair I should use for my listening position. I’ve been using a leather recliner with comfy headrest, but it’s clear to me that I’m getting undesirable reflection from the relatively hard leather surface on either side of my ears. In fact, I recall a thread a while back where someone had taken steps to mitigate the reflection from a leather sofa at the rear of the room.

What does everyone else use? High-back fabric chairs which will better absorb reflections and (somewhat) preclude reflected sound from the rear of the room? Low back chairs which permit all reflections from the rear of the room? I’m sure I can find a comfortable chair in any given configuration (though headrests are surely desirable!).

Thanks!

Ken

This forum has previously discussed this in some detail. Use the search function to find. Good luck.

GG

haircut anyone?

I'm considering something like these (with nice fabric of course.) They're $200 +/-, adjustable ht. fron 18" - 25" (for us speaker stand freaks!) reclining, and with a headrest that fits behind your head! Google: barber chair :rolleyes: <BARBER chair>

Attachments

• 03b2_1_b.jpg
    03b2_1_b.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 383
  • 40_1.jpg
    40_1.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 390
I'm considering something like these (with nice fabric of course.) They're $200 +/-, adjustable ht. fron 18" - 25" (for us speaker stand freaks!) reclining, and with a headrest that fits behind your head! Google: barber chair :rolleyes: <BARBER chair>

Not a bad idea. I wonder how comfortable they'd be for extended periods?

Particularly if a headrest is involved, chairs can have a profount effect on sound.

I think the main thing is to ensure you're able to take whatever you buy back if it doesn't sound good!!

It's funny - while these wouldn't suit my antique decor, I happen across vintage barber chairs often and I've always wanted one. Problem is, they're quite heavy and, if I plant it in the middle of the room, that's where it's going to stay. My wife is tolerant of my various aberrations, but not that tolerant.:p

I've tried various searches on chair, seat, seating, listening etc., but I've yet to find a meaningful discussion of seating selection.:(

I think your audiophile heart is in the right place

although your freinds might consider you legally insane! I would think about a platform for your chair to sit on instead.

I've tried various searches on chair, seat, seating, listening etc., but I've yet to find a meaningful discussion of seating selection.:(

You've just discovered how the search function on this forum DOES NOT WORK! I don't know what vBulletin are doing about it, or if it will be fixed in a future release, but for now it makes it very frustrating.

Luckily, I have been here long enough to recall some of these threads, so you can try:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4280

and

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3765

Of course, if that doesn't answer everything we're only too happy to continue discussions......

^^^^^^
Thanks, Adam! That's what I was looking for.

I just went through the chair selection process. Because I have a multi-channel ML system, I was very sensitive to how high the back of the chair or couch was compared to my ears. I sat in literally dozens of couchs and chairs. I even have two zero gravity chairs that I already owned and I tested them but the one I settled on is a office chair I found at Costco. I sat in it as kind of a joke and I know this sounds bizarre but it is the most comfortable chair that I have sat in that does not restrict sound from behind. It is called Made For Comfort and it has the American Chiropractor Seal on it. It is a leather chair with perfect padding. Like I said, it is a bit bizarre but you should swing by a Costco and just try it. I bought two of them and replaced my leather couch, which came up two high behind my head.

Neil, I have a barber chair ! Its adjustable in height and tilt !;)

When choosing seating for my dedicated room, I wanted comfort and something that looked good. I didn't like the idea of a couch and went with 3 palliser chairs which are quite similar to the Charles Ames chairs. Super comfort , great for long listening sessions.I now have the chairs 3 , side by side so there is 1 chair in the sweet spot. I am in the room alone 95% of the time, that is until the projector and screen are installed.

Cheers, Greg

Attachments

• chairs -2.jpg
    chairs -2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 348
  • chairs - 1.jpg
    chairs - 1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Neil, I have a barber chair ! Its adjustable in height and tilt !;)
. . . . .why am I not surprised!!

Actually, my favorite design (and not just because he was a famous architect :rolleyes:) is Le Corbusier's chaise lounge shown here in the original pony hide (black leather is cheaper and cheaper looking too); except with my CLS's on stands, I'd have to be 20 feet away for their (lowish) height not to matter.

The other chair that doesn't interfere with sound at all (because it's webbing is transparent) is the very well-known Herman Miller Aeron chair. http://www.sit4less.com/index.php I have one for my desk and often swivel it around toward the speakers It tilts back far enough to nap ;) , high back supports the head and neck, adjustable lumbar support and pneumatic height adjust. I just wish they'd make a matching ottoman!! The picture shows one in their new light-colored residential version.

Attachments

• lecorbusierponychaise-2.jpg
    lecorbusierponychaise-2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 325
What is your budget? Are you style conscious?

Here are some additional choices. Google for pictures.

- The egg by Arne Jacobsen - design classic
- The Womb chair - design classic ( I own this, but it's not in my audio room!)
- Many of the Ligne Roset chairs
- The Ox chair - design classic
- Steelcase Leap chair - I own it -you can lean back on it, and it's very comfortable; best chair under $2K, better than Aeron which I use at work
- Poang chair - best value - Ikea, but excellent; best chair under $700; removable head rest; can find on eBay for a good deal if do local pick up

I never really considered if the headrest has a positive,negative or neutral effect on the sound but I find these chairs to be the most comfortable and best looking recliners I've ever used.
Yes, Eckornes were discussed in the threads Adam linked and I plan to take a look at those.

Actually, my favorite design (and not just because he was a famous architect :rolleyes:) is Le Corbusier's chaise lounge shown here in the original pony hide.....

The other chair that doesn't interfere with sound at all (because it's webbing is transparent) is the very well-known Herman Miller Aeron chair...
Neil, I'm sitting in an Aeron as I type this. I lugged it out to the audio room a few weeks back to try it out and I find it's just not comfortable enough for lengthy listening. I like the looks of the Le Corbusier, but I've been unable to find a local dealer, so I'm still working it.

What is your budget? Are you style conscious?
David, budget isn't an issue unless someone comes up with a dalmation-pelt chair. I suppose I am style conscious, but I'm also flexible. Thanks for the list of suggestions!

Neil, I'm sitting in an Aeron as I type this. I lugged it out to the audio room a few weeks back to try it out and I find it's just not comfortable enough for lengthy listening. I like the looks of the Le Corbusier, but I've been unable to find a local dealer, so I'm still working it.
The Aeron chair, to be comfortable for listening, needs to be lowered all the way, and have the spring tension reduced almost to nothing (well, depending how much you weigh ;-) so you can lean all the way back with very little effort. As I mentioned, you'll need something to put your feet up on like an ottoman.

If you go to eBay and just type in: corbusier chaise under 'all categories' you'll find literally dozens of offerings. Design Within Reach is way overpriced IMO.

Latest posts

Back