Like new CLS?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralflar

Reaction score
Would you buy a like-new demo pair of CLS IIz from a reputable dealer for the price of 4000$ ?

I found such a pair at a high end shop today. The dealer says these are one of the last 30 officially made pair, that he bought it new 1.5 years ago, and that he has the papers to prove it. Curious, I always thought the last ones were made in 1997. Anyway, according to the dealer I would have the ML warranty. He will send me the serial numbers tomorrow.

The price is high compared to the few other CLS II I have seen here: approx. 4000 Euros. To put this into perspective, CLS II 12 years and older go for at least 1700 Euros. I believe that replacement panels would cost me around 1500 Euros, possibly plus shipping. The cheapest CLS (not II) I found was 1100 Euros.

So don't convert to dollars as it would distort the picture. A dollar in the US buys more electronics/audio/etc than a Euro in Europe. Let's pretend that the price was 4000$ in the US.

Would you buy?

It's your call.

M/L CLS IIZ topped out at about $6500 before it was discontinued. A new model should be discounted up to 40%.
It seems $4000.00 is a fair price.
The bottom line is what is it worth to you.
RGA:cool:

I could be wrong, but I thought they stopped production in 2002?

Serial numbers from panels and electronics would tell you. Also a call to ML would also verify the last production.

If CLS is what you want, they're not all that easy to come by any more, and $4000 isn't a terrible price, so I'd go for it. As for whether or not CLS is the best way to spend your $4000, that's a different question.

I would never pay $4000 for a set CLS unless they have manufactures warranty on the panels. They are great and Worth every cent audible wise but after 7 years the panels go down fast even if they were not used a lot. The full range panels are much different than the other ones. The CLSIIZ is not my favorite model anyways. It was a attempt to make the amplifier see a easier to drive load. It was when their sales were down and they tried to get some market share from the Adcom type buyers as the originals needed a high current amp,(usually it was not cheap, but the reward was worth it) They have a lot more electronics than the Ia.

Considering they are as pristine as your dealer claims and ML will support the warranty as your dealer claims then it seems to be a fair deal and still a good value in a speaker.

I've watched the CLS market for the past 8 months and a they are not so easy to find in the US but a nice pair can be had if you are patient. It's a much different market outside of the U.S. and I suspect finding CLS's in Italy is more of a challenge. How often to you find a NOS CLSIIz? What is the wood trim?

I wouldn't pay that much in the U.S. but I would pay that if I were in Italy. Something else to consider is that if you ship CLS in the U.S. it would cost about $500 to ship them via freight plus insurance. I'm sure freight charges would cost significantly more in Europe.

Have you had a chance to hear them yet?

Thanks all for the feedback.

The dealer has not yet sent the serial numbers. I'll remind him tomorrow.

C.A.P, regarding the short panel life span you mentioned: could that not be the consequence of your preference for the older models?

I seem to recall that the old electronics did not have a signal sensor whereas the newer ones put drop the panel voltage in stand-by mode. If this is correct panel life should be normal with newer CLS electronics.

Craig: Walnut. I have not heard them yet. Shipping will likely cost 250 to 400 Euros. Shipping replacement panels is probably not going to be much cheaper because of the size.

The prospect of having to pay for shipping twice if buying an old CLS pair makes the current offer more attractive. (If the dealer can substantiate his claims.)

Thanks all for the feedback.

The dealer has not yet sent the serial numbers. I'll remind him tomorrow.

C.A.P, regarding the short panel life span you mentioned: could that not be the consequence of your preference for the older models?

I seem to recall that the old electronics did not have a signal sensor whereas the newer ones put drop the panel voltage in stand-by mode. If this is correct panel life should be normal with newer CLS electronics.

Craig: Walnut. I have not heard them yet. Shipping will likely cost 250 to 400 Euros. Shipping replacement panels is probably not going to be much cheaper because of the size.

The prospect of having to pay for shipping twice if buying an old CLS pair makes the current offer more attractive. (If the dealer can substantiate his claims.)

All I am saying is $4000 is a bit much. However if you get Walnut frames and waranty from the factory for panels then it may be appealing. Yes I do like the older units. The auto sensing is nice but I think it adds a bit of its own to the overall sound. I have no Idea how available they are in your neck of the woods. That can play a factor in price too. Here in the states they pop up often for under $2500. That isn't always Walnut frames. That is why I jumped on mine so fast as I wanted walnut frames. If you have the $$$ and want them. Go for it, they are the best speaker I have ever owned or heard next to the CLX !

The dealer did not send any serial numbers. Not even after I called again. Eventually he will find a buyer, I'm sure.

Not me.

I bought new gray 1.6 Maggies with Cherry wood trims instead. (Wanted to do that for a long time.)

Back