Introducing myself

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonC

Reaction score
I have just joined the Martin Logan brother-sisterhood. I have had my Electromotion ESL speakers for just a few weeks.
I had almost given up on critical listening as my age slithered past 60 and my hearing capacity diminished. How could one enjoy any level of audiophilia as one's hearing acuity took a dive. Well, I can thank Martin Logan for curing me of that above pessimism. I had the good fortune of listening to some Martin Logan speakers at a local shop and found them so enticing that I brought my own recordings to hear. The store setup was not very good and the acoustics were mediocre at best. Still, I found that I could enjoy the music and sonic soundstage even with severe high frequency dropoff in my ears.
Now that the speakers are in my home, I find that I am, again, enjoying my CD's and records (You know, those 12" diameter black disks;)). I long ago gave up golden-ear style audiophilia when I found myself listening to sound rather than music. Now, with the help of these new speakers, I am rediscovering the pleasure and joy I once had in listening to music.
Age brings on diminished hearing capacity, and I can accept that. However, I used to play sax and clarinet in an amateur big band, and we practiced in a small college classroom. The trumpet players were right behind me. Now, it is well known by medical professionals that trumpet players are genetically predisposed to playing too loudly.:D And that is the source of my hearing loss! I can't blame the trumpet players because, with the malady of playing too loudly being genetic, there is nothing they can do about it.:rolleyes:;)

Ron

Welcome to the forum RON !

I do like the sound of those electromotion speakers and can relate about the hearing loss as one of my ears is not as it should be .I think you will have fun here learning all about positioning, cables and room treatments that best suit your speakers. I like hearing comments from first time owners

Hi Ron, big welcome from another one of the elder members around here (translation...Old Fart). Glad to hear that the new M/L's have given you a new lease on your listening enjoyment ! and enjoying analog is a great thing as well.

BTW, I enjoy visiting the Railroad park / museum outside of Golden whenever I get a chance as well as the sampling room at the Coors brewery !

Welcome to the forum Ron :)

I love when folks rediscover their music collections like this! Good for you! I'll tell you, I used to play trumpet (don't hate me) and that little bell at the other end of the horn can surely generate some serious SPLs. Hope you find many satisfying days ahead as you enjoy your new Martin Logans... and if you listen to this crowd here, you might be trading up before you know what hit you ;)

Cheers

I have just joined the Martin Logan brother-sisterhood. I have had my Electromotion ESL speakers for just a few weeks.
I had almost given up on critical listening as my age slithered past 60 and my hearing capacity diminished. How could one enjoy any level of audiophilia as one's hearing acuity took a dive. Well, I can thank Martin Logan for curing me of that above pessimism. I had the good fortune of listening to some Martin Logan speakers at a local shop and found them so enticing that I brought my own recordings to hear. The store setup was not very good and the acoustics were mediocre at best. Still, I found that I could enjoy the music and sonic soundstage even with severe high frequency dropoff in my ears.
Now that the speakers are in my home, I find that I am, again, enjoying my CD's and records (You know, those 12" diameter black disks;)). I long ago gave up golden-ear style audiophilia when I found myself listening to sound rather than music. Now, with the help of these new speakers, I am rediscovering the pleasure and joy I once had in listening to music.
Age brings on diminished hearing capacity, and I can accept that. However, I used to play sax and clarinet in an amateur big band, and we practiced in a small college classroom. The trumpet players were right behind me. Now, it is well known by medical professionals that trumpet players are genetically predisposed to playing too loudly.:D And that is the source of my hearing loss! I can't blame the trumpet players because, with the malady of playing too loudly being genetic, there is nothing they can do about it.:rolleyes:;)

Ron

I almost pulled the trigger on the em esl , arent they amazing the detail & speed is very aluring.
Welcome to the club Enjoy those new honeys & rediscover all your music :eek:

Back