I did not fall off the edge of the earth!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I haven't posted here in a while. I've been on travel for the past month and the work schedule was very robust to say the least. I was able to visit an online friend one day last weekend. This link will show you what I experienced. http://www.hometheaterdesignmag.com/traditional/207mc/

This man (Ivan) has 1.2 Million dollars in his Audio/visual system. The realism was just absolutely breathtaking :bowdown:

For strictly 2 channel music, I preferred the 8K Spire to the 85K McIntosh. There was something edgy to me with all those metal tweeters. It by no means sounded bad, just not my cup of tea.

For an HT experience, I know I have have never heard or seen anything finer than this set up. During one DVD-A of Phil Collins playing Suidio (sp), I actually felt like getting up and dancing with the digital people it was that real!

What a Saturday afternoon!

Gordon

Holly smokes !!!! .....1.2 million !!!!! i can't even comprehend it...let alone finding fault !

I guess I'll coorolate it to the Yankees payroll..........oh yeah...that's right they aren't the World Champs....the Phillies are !!! Congrats to 'ole man Moyer, got his 250th today...finally !

I can't help but wonder why all that equipment is needed. It would be interesting to see a system diagram.

Gordon, that's cool you got to experience such a system.

One question: Any room correction applied?

Oh, and note that he still uses a Sony G-series CRT :bowdown:

Bernard, While I'm probably the biggest gear-whore around these parts, I also seem to find the box count a tad high. Would also like to see a diagram.

I'll try to answer some the questions posed here:

There is no room correction at this time. I believe Ivan is waiting for McIntosh to firm up their application. Which is kind of unusual considering they are in the same group as Denon, and product should be able to flow between the companies.

The room itself is a poured concrete cube approximately 22 X 24 X 14. Even the ceiling is poured concrete. Ivan mentioned the walls are 12 in thick. He had the full Rives consult done. The electrical service is 500 amps for the audio room alone and every component has it's own circuit and power conditioner.

There are only a few visible room treatments which were added after the Rives treatment. Four Tube traps were the only pieces I could see.

Here is a list of components in the room:

MX136(1) C15(2) MC205(1) MC206(1) MC162(2) MC402(4) MC602(2) MC1.2KW(24) MC2KW(4) MQ109B(2) MR85(1) MR88(1) MCD205(1) MS300(4) MCD500(3) MCD301(3) MS750(2) MVP871(5) MCD1000(2) MDA1000(2) C1000C(2) C1000P/T(2) MPC1500(1) MA6500(1) MA6600(1) MA6900(2) HT2(2) HT3F(4) WS350(2) XRT2K(4) XCS2K(2) XR200(2) XRT30(2) XR27(6) MC2301(2) VP1000(1) MT10(1) XCS350(2) XLS360(2) XLS112(2) R778(2) BYBEE QUANTUM FILTERS, FURMAN REFERENCE IT POWER(1) GRACE M902 AMP(1) PIONEER ELITE BDP-09FD(1) PS AUDIO PPP(12) RGPC 600(8) RGPC 1200(40) RGPC POLE PIG(4) JL AUDIO GOTHAM SUBS(2) LUMAGEN SCALER(2) SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR(2) SVS LIFT & WIREWORLD GOLD ECLIPSE CABLES

Every speaker is multi amped. The three fronts are tri amped and if I have my numbers right, about 4000 watts each. Surrounds are either bi/tri amped with again their own power conditioners.

There are four subs in the room in addition to the 12 12 inchers in the front speakers themselves. The 2 Gotham subs are in the rear corners and hit like a sledge hammer. Ivan will only allow peaks of 125 db for fear of hearing damage which is a real concern in this room. He said he has had it up higher but only with him in the room.

All of his music is on servers and he has several play lists of which to choose from. Every component is also vibration controlled with matts or roller balls.

Listening to music was on average about 12 watts with some peaks to 100 but it was real and effortless, it was stunning. The HT side of this room was most impressive. I'd never go to a theater if I had it. The video is so well done it draws a person in and really can transport you to actually being there!

If I can think of anything else, I'd be happy to try and answer.

Gordon

Back