HT on front stereo implementation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha

Reaction score
My question is very simple. So I have the stereo setup, which I use for movies aswell. But in some near future I would like to go 'surround'. ML Dynamo sub would be the first to come since I'd like to hear how it works with music. Hopefully, center would be Fresco, surrounds Vignette. I will be happy with 5.1 for starters.
Main concern is how to implement front speakers with electronics! I feel (know) that using surround reciever for music is not exactly 'high end', and I don't have the money to buy extra expensive recievers that work good in stereo (if there are such on the market). The idea would be to connect recievers preouts to some nice monoblocks, but then again the signal is going thru the reciever. But on the other hand, if I use integrated amp for front, then the volume control would be tricky, since reciever would control center/surrounds and integrated the front?!
What is the solution?

The idea would be to connect recievers preouts to some nice monoblocks, but then again the signal is going thru the reciever. But on the other hand, if I use integrated amp for front, then the volume control would be tricky, since reciever would control center/surrounds and integrated the front?!
What is the solution?

Sasha, your on the right track. Utilizing a two channel pre with 'HT pass thru' in conjunction with a good HT receiver, Arcam for example, would then allow your main stereo or monoblock amps to provide L/R amplification while the receiver would supply center, surround and LFE to sub. While in multi channel mode the receivers pre/processor will be engaged and when you're strictly in two channel listening mode then your two channel pre does the deed !

Last edited:
Sasha, your on the right track. Utilizing a two channel pre with 'HT pass thru' in conjunction with a good HT receiver, Arcam for example, would then allow your main stereo or monoblock amps to provide L/R amplification while the receiver would supply center, surround and LFE to sub. While in multi channel mode the receivers pre/processor will be engaged and when your srictly in two channel listening mode then your two channel pre does the deed !

Ok, the term 'HT pass thru' is new for me, what exactly does it mean? I guess it is a mode of the reciever to nondestructively pass the signal through, but then again I have 2 extra interconnections, between preamp - reciever and reciever - monoblocks? Maybe I have to make piece with the fact that simply reciever should be my preamp and the thing is done? I mean, how bad preamp in the 'better' reciever really is?

Ok, the term 'HT pass thru' is new for me, what exactly does it mean? I guess it is a mode of the reciever to nondestructively pass the signal through, but then again I have 2 extra interconnections, between preamp - reciever and reciever - monoblocks?

Actually the "pass through" is being done by your two channel pre, so while in multi channel it's the gain stage of the receivers preamp section that is drivng the amplification stage for ALL the channels. With that being said, your are 'pre-outing' from the receiver to and through your two channel pre and thus utizing the existing IC's between your two channel pre and your amp(s) for your L/R speakers.

Actually the "pass through" is being done by your two channel pre, so while in multi channel it's the gain stage of the receivers preamp section that is drivng the amplification stage for ALL the channels. With that being said, your are 'pre-outing' from the receiver to and through your two channel pre and thus utizing the existing IC's between your two channel pre and your amp(s) for your L/R speakers.

Ah sooooo :D Then volume knob on the preamp has no control over the fronts, I get it! This is good then, does most of the preamps have this 'pass thru' or I have to pay attention? I love your AResearch, but I think it is little expensive for me. I have an interesting offer tho, I can swap my Rotel RA-1062 (plus a rather small fee) inegrated for used RC-1070 preamp and two RB-1070's, maybe that could be a good starting point?!

does most of the preamps have this 'pass thru' or I have to pay attention? I can swap my Rotel RA-1062 (plus a rather small fee) inegrated for used RC-1070 preamp and two RB-1070's, maybe that could be a good starting point?!

Sasha, there are many affordable preamps that do, including ARC, a nice used LS-16 would be sweet. I'm not familiar with the RC-1070 so I can't say. But if it does than yes you would have a nice place to start.

Sasha,

Like Dave said, there are many preamp options out there. The Audio Research is a fine preamp as well as many others. I have owned the RC-1070 and t was a fine preamp. If that is what your budget can afford :D do not fell like you have settled for something that is not a fine piece of equipment. I thought it was a good performer and very well built with no issues. The reason I originally sold mine was to get a tube preamp. :D

What ever you end up with I am sure t wull be fine. Most of all jut enjoy the music.

Jeff:cool:

Latest posts

Back