How far to position ML Stage from front wall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
I have a new ML Stage center channel coming this week and have a question about how far to position the center channel from the front wall. I will be using ML Vantage speakers for my mains with a JL F112 Fathom subwoofer. My ML Vantages are set up 4 ft. from the front wall.
Since electrostatic speakers sound best with usually a minimum of 3 ft. from the front wall, does it make sense to wall mount the ML Stage speaker or would it perform better a distance from the front wall? If so, what would be a good distance from the wall to start out positioning the center channel? Martin Logan sort of side steps this in the manual.
thanks,
Jim

I just added a 2" thick sound absorbing foam to the back of the Stage and it sounds fantastic.

Would you need traps or panels behind the ML stage if it was moved further out into the room. I already have 6 bass traps and two panels in my room already.

To be more specific, will the ML Stage sound better (more transparent / Larger soundstage/ depth) - moved out a few feet from the front wall.

To be more specific, will the ML Stage sound better (more transparent / Larger soundstage/ depth) - moved out a few feet from the front wall.

I think it should sound better if you move it out a few feet. As far as the traps are concerned, you need to test it with and without. I have to use a foam behind it because mine is wall mounted.

Congrats on your new Stage! I have my Stage X setting 3" from the wall due to very limited space. Jaw dropping when playing action movie. Fortunately you still have space option to set it. I am sure you will like sound either away/close to the wall.:music:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back