Hi-end dvd player recommendations

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said the modified digital output will still be with the flawed concept of clock embedded into data stream.
Miljac, you do understand that Dan and I are using digital preamps? We can either a) use a one box CD etc. player with analog output and have three conversion steps (D/A/D/A) with consequent AQ issues, or we can use a transport with either TacT internal or an external DAC and have one conversion (D/A), with potential consequent clocking issues. We're compelled to choose between these two evils. In my case, I can assure you that the latter approach, using high quality external DACs with robust jitter rejection (Berkeley Alpha, Weiss DAC2) sounds far better than the former.

OTOH, we're enjoying full-spectrum customizable FR correction, digital sub crossover, and phase and time delay corrections.

Let's see if Modwright can come up with the goods, then I will know what CD/DVD player to get. Oh yes I forgot to say the guy at Custom Analogue Audio told me he wasn't willing to upgrade the Digital Output stage in the OPPO. He also said that he didn't know how he could upgrade it.

Last edited:
Maybe not a name you want to hear, but Sony's ES series just released their 400 disc Blu-Ray that plays everything. ES is their elite stuff.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665925651
I have two of their regular DVD/SACD/CD 400 disc players and we really have enjoyed them.

I love the convenience of not having all the clutter of 800 movies boxes and jewel cases. They are now in the basement in boxes.

Lee

Click on the following link to see a review of the standard unmodded OPPO in WHAT HI-FI magazine. Not a very good review really http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Oppo-BDP-831/
Not a good review...and not a postive review either. There are more detailed reviews to be found on the net about this player. From what I have read the Oppo has one of the fastest loading times of any BR player.

Attached below is a close up internal view of the OPPO BDP-83 for you're interest...

Attachments

• oppo-bdp-83-inside-fig-4.jpg
    oppo-bdp-83-inside-fig-4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Back