Help! - Summits versus Ascent/Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can't move the speakers out from the wall, it really might be worth getting some room treatments behind those panels...

My system, while sitting in the sweet spot, often sounds bass shy and bright due to the room dimensions, as well as somewhat due to the older recordings. BTW, on the Krell 505 CD, you can also play DVDs (audio only) and on newer concert recordings, the bass is great. Also, the 505 plays SACD, and on newer SACD recordings, the system has great bass too. But on typical 1970s standard classic rock CDs, the system seems to often need help. So, this results in me turning on the subwoofer and having to periodically adjust the level of the unit based on the characteristics of the recording (pain in the neck). So, ideally, it would be great to get rid of the sub, for simplicity sake (also, btw, the Krell speakers have the same brightness issue...which tells me that likely it is overall a system/room set-up issue that I am trying to mitigate through the subwoofer).

As an Ascent/Descent owner, I do the same with my sub. I don't think it's a room issue, it's purely down to the recordings. I don't have to do it, but I prefer the results if I do when it is necessary, and it is pretty easy... OK it's using the Descent as a tone control, but that's why you bought it - to alter the tone of your system. Not very purist, but hey...

I also demo'd the Summit some years back, and didn't think the difference was worth the price of the change, to be honest. Others may not/will not agree. Great speaker, though.

One of the difficulties I had assessing the Summit against the Ascent/Descent was the amp being used to drive the Summit (a Krell HT amp). I much prefer MLs driven by tube amps... and when I got home the presentation was so markedly different via my 211 based amps, I pretty much prefered the Ascent/Descent combo. If I had ever tried the Summit via my own amps in my own room, it may have been a different story...

The Spire/Krell S300i combo I heard a while back bettered the Summit/Krell HT amp in my book, FWIW. MLs really do reveal an amps personality, and if you don't like the amp, it isn't going to work out, I think.

It might sound like I am trying to poo poo Krell - I'm not, I'm just not a fan.

Last edited:
Can you switch with a remote?

GG

Heck yea!

I just picked up a DD-12 about a 2 months ago. I went into my local shop intending on trying out a JL-audio F-10 but they had this one used for about 1k less so.... figured I would give it a shot. I still have another month to trade up to the JL but right now I am really digging the Velodyne. There is a video out so you can pull up the eq anytime and adjust. 6 independent settings with about every variable you can think of.

Glad to see this thread. I have pondered trying to move up to a set of Spires next year.... but then again I could just buy a spare set of panels for the Ascents and spend the money elsewhere in the system.

Summit Upgrade Completed

1) Descent no longer needed - bass is very strong and very well integrated

2) Moved the speakers out further from back wall...excellent results, thanks for the help.

3) Sounds Great!

Attachments

• DSC_0913.jpg
    DSC_0913.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 296
Steve,

Glad you like.

Looks stunning.

Might want to experiment with the panel angle. Try at straight vertical.

GG

Hello,
I am in total agreement with Steve, they look amazing. I really love the Clear Aluminum Finish. Glad you are happy with the bass sans Descent.
Cheers,
ML

Latest posts

Back