Hello from Western Colorado

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

churchill

Reaction score
Hi All, greetings from Colorado, great forum about ML!

I've been in and out of Hi-Fi for 20 years, it started in college with my Infinity Kappa 8's (crushing low end) and B&K Monoblocks (Nice) and Sony ES CD player, it's sad to say that was my best system so far!

My current system includes a Denon AVR-3801 preamped out to a Adcom GFA 5503 running PSB Stratus Mini and Stratus C5i with a PSB Subsonic 10. CD is a Denon DVD2900 DVD/SACD. TV is Panasonic TH-42PX50U Plasma Rear surrounds are ceiling mounted, can't remember the brand. :)

No ML yet but will be purchasing as soon as my 2-channel audio room is completed (prior garage that has been enclosed but still needs work). Room size is 10 FT wide, 18 FT long, 8 Ft ceiling. Question on floor covering which is the best for acoustics , carpet, tile, or hardwood floors? Thoughts on room size?

I'm looking at buying used, probably Vista's or Vantage's for speakers and amplification by Pass Labs (X250) , Mark Levinson #23, Classe CA200, Krell KSA 250, maybe a Rowland product as well. Thoughts? Any thoughts on a good CD/SACD player to add? I'll get some pics posted of my current system as well as my empty audio room I'm working on.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Whats your total budget? Then you decide what you can afford with the system. I would go big on the room and you can always buy up with equipment. Remember a $100k system in a poor room will sound like a $100k system in a POOR room !

What do you want to accomplish ? Vantages are a bit better than the Vistas. Hell these days Summits are cheap as they are discontinued. They are a world class speaker that just got surpassed by new technology .

As for Amplification. Im partial to the FPB series of Krell. The older ones had some glare and the new ones seem to thin to me. The Pass are a great amp. The Levinson is also a bit grainy to me! Amp selection will be all about what speaker you get !

Since all the equipment will be used, I'm thinking 2-3k for speakers, 2-3k for the amp, 2k preamp, 1k for CD/SACD, so maybe 8-10k. I've been checking Audiogon and EBay and think it's doable.

When I do the electrical I'm also bringing in 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits for this room one for the amp and one for the preamp/CD etc.

Hi Church,

Sounds like you got the makings for a very nice system.

You will get much good advice on this site.

One comment on the SACD player. I have the CARY 306 SACD and love it. Can pick up used for $3,400 +/-. Has been replaced by the Pro version. List price is $8K. I know it's a bit beyond your budget but with the upsampling options as well as digital connectivity, it's a phenomenal / musical piece.

Also built like the proverbial tank.

See the review in the latest Stereophile for more info.

If you go this route, make sure to check that you are buying the latest version prior to its discontinuation.

And if you are ever up in my neighborhood, please get in touch.

Best regards,

GG

Thanks Gordon! That piece may be out of the budget but I always like checking out the gear!

I'll be buying this system piece by piece so not to overload the old bank account!

Thinking speakers first, because my Adcom while not the greatest amp will run either the Vista's or the Vantage's OK temporarily.

I lived in the Gillette area back in 79-80, no doubt the Jackson area is beautiful country!

Mark

Mile high match up

Your on the right path.
I started with looking at the Vistas but got a great deal so I went with the Vantages and Pass X-250, and I am very happy. When your in the market for the X-250, I have a great contact.

Lee

Well I missed a pair of Vista's on eBay yesterday by 5 seconds as we both had the same bid, darn!

I'd like to get the maple or natural cherry finish as well, so I am being a little picky!

Mark

Audio Room getting started

Well my audio room got started today here are a couple of pics...

Hopefully it'll be done by Friday, and my Vista's arrive tomorrow! :rocker:

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 127
Finally up and running!

Audio room done! Vista's up and running! Working on placement, the entrance to the room has no door yet and I feel like I'm losing a little on the right side.:rolleyes:

I'll be replacing the Adcom 5503 on Tuesday when my Pass Labs X250 (Gon purchase) shows up!:rocker:

I'm also in need of a decent audio rack, as you can see, but I wanted to get this party started!

Here is a updated picture and I'll post to member systems after the X250 arrives!

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 88

Latest posts

Back